SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetbabyjames5_gw

Questions / Concerns about my Soapstone

sweetbabyjames5
12 years ago

It's been a few months since my soapstone was installed. Mine has a lot of veining, and I expected the softness. What I didn't anticipate were the water marks. I've spent the last three months studying my soapstone. Since the first time I waxed it, it has felt very sticky. There are only two areas, on either side of my sink, that have ever felt soft and smooth, as I believe soapstone should. I never get water marks on those places. Ever However, water marks occur everywhere my soapstone feels sticky. A drop of water wiped up within ten seconds will leave a mark. This makes me wonder if this is a finishing issue. I put a soapstone remnant (same company, different color) on my daughter's vanity. It has always felt smooth and I've tested water drops and have never gotten a mark there. I plan to contact my fabricator, but was hoping to get some opinions here first, from all of you who know soapstone better than me. I am not concerned about the scratches and chips (expected those - although sanding them out doesn't work as it leaves a huge dull mark in its place) but wondering if the constant water marks are related to the stickiness of the finish does bother me. I haven't waxed since the second month. My stone remains black without it now (faster than I expected). The stickiness is embarrassing when people come over and touch it. Doesn't feel clean at all although I am constantly wiping it down. My marble island has been much easier to live with. My husband and I are even considering removing the soapstone and putting the marble in its place. I appreciate any thoughts you have!

Molly

Comments (17)