SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

Calling all soapstone owners!

mamabirrd
15 years ago

Good morning!

I am currently in the process of designing my DIY kitchen. We started building our new home 3 years ago and I had been pretty much set on granite for countertops until yesterday. I really started to re-think my choice of granite for my "modern primitive" kitchen because I just don't think it will look right. I started to research soapstone here on GW and I am almost sold! LOL

It is so beautiful and seems like it would suit my distressed, country kitchen just right.

I do have a few questions though.....

Is it as carefree as it seems? Maintenance seems pretty easy.

What's wrong with not oiling? Could you just go with a natural look? How about a light application of oil or wax?

I live near Pittsburgh, PA and am wondering if anyone else in my area knows of a good place to get it? Bucks County isn't too far, but I didn't see any choices in types of soapstone on their website. Do they only offer one?

Do soapstone and children go together well? :)

I recall someone here on GW saying their soapstone had a bit of sparkle. I'm unable to find that post now and wondering if anyone is familiar with a "sparkly" soapstone?

What about a soapstone sink? Yay or Nay?

I would truly love to hear about your soapstone and any information you'd like to offer up. And pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Dawn

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!