SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merimom_gw

Kraftmaid cabinet stain 'pooling'

merimom
15 years ago

I had read about this on this forum after we purchased our cabinets, but when DH checked the cabinets after delivery he said they looked fine...Well, his definition of "fine" is not the same as mine. A few doors definitely have areas where the stain is heavier and "pooled" in some of the recesses of the cabinet door. Almost as if there is a glaze on them, but we did not ask for a glaze...We got a standard Sunset stain. I'd post a photo but the way the cabinets are currently crammed in our kitchen awaiting installation makes it kinda hard to get in there and get a photo...Hopefully I can post a photo once we take the doors of the cabinets tonight).

So, here is the problem...We bought the cabinets in May. DH opened all the boxes and inspected them. We did have a couple scratched doors for which we promptly received replacements. Then, we DIY'd demo, electrical, plumbing, drywall, etc., we had a baby in July, then the holidays came, then I fell broke my arm in December (darn baby gates!)...So, we are just now ready to install the cabinets. Do you think we can still get replacement doors? We purchased our cabinets from Home Depot and they told us we had 90 days to inspect the cabinets for damage. Is this a "damage" issue or more of a "finish" warranty issue?

We have all the uppers out the boxes. We don't have space to open up all the base cabinets until the wall cabinets are up, so I probably won't be contacting HD until I know exactly what we need for our entire kitchen.

So, do you think we have a chance of getting replacement doors 8 (yikes) months later? Would I be better off to go through HD or go directly to Kraftmaid? Thanks!

I do like the cabinets though...The doors without this stain issue are very nice...The doubts I had about the Sunset stain being too light are gone now that I see a bunch of cabinets in one space vs just one sample door.

Comments (8)