SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19754964

Leaking Windows

User
10 years ago

Hello!

I debated about which forum to put this on, but I think old house experts may have a better idea. We have an 1885 Victorian in New Orleans. They are sash and cord windows that open and close very well. For a while now, when it rains (particularly when it rains heavily), our windows leak in the corners. I know there is a leak, but I can't readily find it. I've done the hose test (which yielded nothing) and we've re-painted and caulked around the windows, which solved some problems we had upstairs, but not down (six windows on wall total, three up and three down). One leaks from above and the other two from below. The sills do not slope out away from the house at all. The PO had new siding put up before we bought the house (on this side), and I think some shotty work was done. They didn't wrap the house, they just nailed the siding to the studs. One day, MANY years from now, we will have the siding taken down (all around), have hardibacker installed all around, wrap house, flash windows, maybe sprayfoam etc. Right now, that simply isn't an option for money reasons. We can't do the whole house and people don't like doing small jobs on our house because of it's height (13 ft ceiling up and down and house is 4 feet off ground).

Caulking produces moderate results because the house gets south-facing sun all day, meaning caulk and paint get dry and crack fast. I am thinking of painting around the frames externally with an exterior product similar to hydroban (if such a thing exists). I am also considering have a mill company mill a sloping sill that can be installed on top of the current one (flashing underneath it as well). This would seal the window from air and let water flow away from the window.

Any other ideas? I need something that will last me about 10-15 years with my giving yearly maintenance. I will do this properly at some point, but I need a quick fix for the moment. Also, if anyone has any idea of how I can detect leak, that would be great. My contractor and another I came up with have been stumped.

Thank you!

Comments (10)