SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
douglaspark

craftsman trim

douglaspark
16 years ago

We're renovating a craftsman house from 20s. Starting over on the ground floor with new stained trim and may just repaint the white trim on second floor. (I'm not sure when they decided to paint the trim originally.)

My questions have to do with white trim in bedrooms of the period. I've read that on this forum and elsewhere that this was not uncommon.

Does anyone know how they handled baseboards, doors and doorframes on craftsman second floors with white windows and trim? Did they typically go with white or stained doors, frames and baseboards in such bedrooms? Did the hallways have white baseboards as well? What about staircases in houses with ground floor stained trim and second floor white trim? Were they stained or white? I'm concerned about the jarring effect of the transition from ground floor stained trim to second floor white trim and wondering where that transition typically occurred.

I've seem one craftsman home that had bedroom doors painted white on the inside and stained on the hallway side? Is that typical? What do you think of that way of handling doors?

Does anyone have strong preferences for painted or stained trim in craftsman bedrooms?

Also, does anyone know whether the painted trim in craftsman bedrooms was purely an aesthetic decision or was it cheaper as well? Did they have cheaper paint grade wood in those days?

Thanks!

Comments (12)