SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathjames_gw

Help!! Need advice on primer and paint for cabinets

cathjames
11 years ago

I have read thousands of posts, visited numerous "good" paint stores and have gotten so many different recommendations that my head is swimming. If anyone could give me a recommendation and/or why NOT to go with a particular product I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm painting my cabinets (picture included). They are wood (not sure what kind) and have vertical grooves down the front of them. I am sanding and filling in the grooves with bondo (I know many will have different opinions about that too but that's the route I've taken and have already started it.)

So, given that I have wood (about 25 years old) and bondo - what it the best primer and paint to used for my cabinets. I will be painting them a white/light color. Many have said I need to use an oil-based primer. I will do so if necessary, but would love to avoid the clean up required with oil. But, in the end, I want to do what is best and will last longest.

Primers that have been recommended:
Sherwin Williams Multi-purpose oil based primer
Sherwin Williams premium wall and wood primer (latex)
Zinsser BIN primer/sealer
Zinsser Bulls Eye primer/sealer (oil & latex)
Zinsser Cover Stain primer
Kilz

Paints that have been recommended:
Sherwin Williams Pro Classic
Benjamin Moore Advance
Benjamin Moore Aura
Benjamin Moore Impervo

Also some have said use TSP to clean the cabinets, others have said don't use it, that it interacts with some paints and causes problems.

HELP!! What to do!

Comments (24)