SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesliew_gw

Need roofing advice - PLEASE!!

lesliew
19 years ago

Need some input and advice from the "experts". We have only lived in this house for ten months, so we have no "winter" history when it comes to ice and snow. We were hit hard enough in this last snow with ice dams and leakage that we have decided to strip off the roof and replace it. We had leakage into the living room through the windows, and in the back of the house, the water backed up into the soffits and killed two motion detector lights. When the electrician removed one of them and poured water out of it, he also found ice inside the soffit. We are getting a lot of conflicting information and suggestions (more like "orders") from different roofers, and the price ange is staggering. From what I have read, it would seem we need six to nine feet of ice and water shield, and the rest felt. Were talking about a roof ( or roofs) which is 4000-4200 square feet. It involves 30 year Tamko architectural roofing. My previous roofer, who does not really work in this area, said we need drip edge as well, that it is not necessary to take off and replace the leaders and gutters, but that the ideal way would havebeen to wrap the material onto the fascia board before the gutters went up. A second roofer wants to remove and replace them (I guess my roofer just didnÂt FEEL like doing it) and wrap over the fascia board. This second roofer also wants to cut a ridge vent, which we do not have, but says we do not need soffit vents. He also wants to install drip edge. The third roofer, who is charging almost HALF of the other two (I did get an estimate of what it should cost from my previous roofer), only wants to install three feet of shield, no drip edge, says the gutters should not be removed, says we do not need ridge vents since we have three huge gable vents. I do have a couple of other roofers I need to talk to, who come highly recommended, but at this point, I am stymied as to what is or is not the correct way to do this roof. Right now we have a two or three year old roof installed right over the old, probably rotted, original roof, so we know everything has to come off. The roofers make mention of new valleys and flashing, but I have not even gotten as far as asking them what material they are talking about. This house is an expanded ranch, with an extremely steep pitch on all but one section of roof. I also haveot checked with the various roofing manufacturers such as GAf and Tamko on their warranties, but I have heard from someone who did check that GAF will not warranty a roof with ridge vents and no soffit vents. This second roofing company, by the way, who is so cheap, is a member of the BBB and has had no complaints in the last thirty-six months. However, does that mean anything? The other one has no record. I would really appreciate hearing from some of you experts in the roofing industry as to how this roof should be done, what questions to ask, what materials to look for, but I really donÂt expect price estimates!!!

Comments (11)