SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenp4

Should a sloping wood floor be fixed?

jenp4
16 years ago

Hello everyone. I am 1 month in to my 1912 farmhouse remodel. So far I had to remove the plaster and lath, which was very sad for me, but it was in rough shape, lots of water damage, dangerous electrical problems-- mold, leaking plumbing, you name it. The walls are now down to the studs (which look great-- nice, solid wood). I even had to take the ceilings down on the second floor as the lower stringers on the trusses were warped and sagging because of a leaking roof. I also found when I took down the plaster on the second floor, that all my walls (except exterior) were built with 2 by 2 studs! Even the load bearing walls. Yes, this has been quite the project!

Well, my question is about the floors on the second level. I have to rebuild all of those interior walls with 2 by 4s so I can run the new electric and plumbing, and before I do that, I need to decide what I am doing with the floors. They are solid fir throughout, and I definitely want to keep them (despite all of the nail holes, paint layers and adhesives). The problem is that there is a corner in the master bedroom that slops quite a bit downward. I would say that it is at least a couple inches off from the middle of the room. It is so bad, that if I were to put a marble in the middle of the room, it would pick up some speed on the way down to that corner. I believe that this floor issue is caused by the floor not settling much in the middle and other side because that part of the room is held up by the chimney. What I was wondering was whether or not I should try and do something with the floor in the master bedroom.

Some people have suggested removing the floor, one board at a time in that area, then adding wood to the tops of the trusses until level, and then replacing the floor. One friend suggested just living with the imperfection (it is an old house). I could do that if there really isn't any easy/safe-for-the-floor way, but I though it would run it by you all.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

-Jen

Comments (4)