SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinkyrn_gw

New to GW, kitchen in progress, flooring dilemma!

PinkyRN
12 years ago

We are at the beginning of our kitchen reno in our outdated 1970's home. Here are the details!

It's a smaller rectangular shaped space with two entry points one to the dining room and one that looks directly down 5 steps to the front door (it's a split level home). One thing I love about it is the large window over the sink.

Cabinets: Kabinart Cherry, Mission with toffee finish (shaker style). Ordered and should be here in 3 weeks or less!

Countertop: Soapstone, mostly grey/black (not green tones) with thin, delicate white veins

Hardware: Brushed stainless 7" pulls

Appliances: All stainess, pretty basic.

Flooring: I'm hoping to get some opinions about this. We have looked at HUNDREDS of tiles and I cannot figure out why I am not liking anything except for one which I am afraid may be too dark. My husband is ready to lay down a sheet of plywood and call it a day LOL.

We've narrowed it down to Unicom Starker Natural Slate, and the choices are Multicolor or Autumn.

Multicolor: this is the one I fell in love with. I just love the way slate looks and this tile is just as beautiful except it has the practicality of porcelain. I think it would look amazing with the soapstone but I'm afraid with our cabinet choice it will become a dark, cave-like kitchen.

Autumn: Nice tile, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the final product. I'm afraid with the rosy tones and some of the tiles that have black/grey colors in them that it looks dated. Although I think it would be nice next to the cherry/toffee cabinets and add a lighter element to the room.

Backsplash: Also up in the air. Trying to incorporate glass tile or a shiny porcelain (I'm thinking 1 x 3) because I love the look and maybe use that as a way to lighten up the space in conjunction with light walls if I go with the dark tile.

We have been staring at the sample boards that the tile store let us take home and I just cannot pull the trigger. Any thoughts are appreciated!

We're doing 18x18 on the diagonal and the surrounding floors are the original thin plank oak(?) going to be refinished (unsure if we'll have them stained) during the kitchen reno.

I'm going to read the info about posting pictures and add some visuals.

Thank you!!

Comments (10)