SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ani_t

plywood under 3cm granite

ani_t
16 years ago

I feel like I have asked this question before... so pardon my if this is a repeat. My brain is not holding much a little fried these days.

I have a large overhang nearly 20 inches, will probably have steel bars.

One of the installers that I talked to refused to warranty his granite unless there is a 5/8 plywood under the granite. This is for 3 cm not 2 cm. I checked. So I went ahead and put in the subtop, reasoning being "we might even have to do 2 cm and if 3 cm also needs a subtop- why not put it in right away..."

Now the other installers that I am getting bids from refuse to put 3 cm granite on a plywood subtop. I did not realize it was a NEGATIVE to have a subtop. Even though I told them I would cover the exposed plywood edge, under the granite, with veneer. One lady said that plywood has flex so granite should not go on it. This makes no sense to me at all.

Why is having a flexible plywood along with steel rods for extra support worse than having just steel bars ?

They all ofcourse quote me to remove the plywood tops that I just put in- like its a full countertop!

Trying to get to the bottom of this mystery. I will be so very very happy when this whole saga ends. I cannot help but admire the energy and enthusiasm of TKO here! I think I am burning out...

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting