SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slateberry

Old houses in great books--favorites?

13 years ago

Have you ever fallen in love with an old house in a book? I'm going to share some of mine and hope others will chime in.

Let's see, I howled (with laughter) my way through Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence.

Then there was the dream house that never got built in Spencer's Mountain (aka the book behind the Waltons). The way that dad would dig the foundation every year but never get further, and lose it every year to the spring rains. My heart. I can relate to that one! I like it that in the series they actually did get the house.

Under the Tuscan Sun--restoring an abandoned Tuscan villa. I loved (and can relate to) the sheer physicality of some of the tasks they took on. And the hot water in the toilet--hee hee!

Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier. Manderley--need I say more.

But the house that lives and breathes for me the most, and I hope others will recommend houses like this, is Green Knowe. Lucy Boston's 1000 year old manor house, memorialized in her several books with the house in the title. In Ms. Boston's skillful hands, that house becomes a character and part of the plot of the story. It is not a backdrop but a living participant. I think my favorite is the treasure of Green Knowe, for its exploration of the chimney system of the house, and the way Tolly finds Caxton's old things. Reminds me of times I've poked around in the walls and odd spaces of my own home and found things too.

Do you have a favorite literary house? Please share!

Comments (9)