SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_tn

Wavy plaster walls

ken_tn
14 years ago

I bought a 1930's house that has extremely wavy walls. Its my first time living in an older home, so I'm not familiar with plaster walls. It appears the walls were finished with a cement like brown "board" about 24" wide applied horizontally on the walls, then skimmed with white hard plaster. Most of the walls were either wall papered in bold 70's patterns or spray painted with vanilla beige flat paint by the previous owner. I could tell the walls felt "wavy" but the uneveness was hid by the wild wallpaper and white paint. I removed the wallpaper, sanded, primed and picked out some new paint from BM in a soft fernwood green and a soft gold for the dining room with an eggshell finish (paint store recommendation). Now with color and the eggshell paint on the walls, we can see all the hills and valleys! It looks like the walls of a rocky cave with large waves and shadows, like a large quilted comforter! If I put a 36" straight edge across the wall I can tell that the valleys are between 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep and generally run around the rooms following the seams of the old plaster board. It really looks bad in the sunlight or when a lamp is placed near the wall. There are some gaps at the top of some door frames and windows if they fall in the low areas. The walls feel very solid with no loose plaster and no significant cracks. I'm wondering if this is simply a terrible finish job by the original plasterer or is this the norm? I don't think the plaster board is coming loose or sagging from the studs. Otherwise the house is very solid, but I cannot take the wild shadows on the wall from the waves. Is this normal for older homes? The only recommendations I have received from drywall finishers is to cover the walls with thin drywall, or tear out the plaster and install new 1/2" gyp board. I don't want to do that and I haven't found anyone willing to skimcoat all the interior walls so they will be relativly "flat". I have been in a few of the other houses in my neighborhood and they do not look like this. I accept the walls will never look like new flat drywall construction but is there anyway to help hide this? Is flat white paint and wild wallpaper my only option? I do not like the textured "knock down spackel" on walls (reminds me of cheap 80's motels!) and I don't think the texture will solve anything. Am I just being too picky?

Any advise or suggestions?

Comments (11)