SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

Where is the contractor now?

Shannon01
15 years ago

My dh and I hired a concrete contractor with our first house back in 1994. It was horrible experience which led to us becoming DIYers. The only other time we hired was a pool company because we did not want to deal with individual contractors and wanted a name behind our contract. That went well considering the pain in the arse that pool contractors typically are.

So now we finally hired a guy to do crown molding. He was recommended by the current job he was doing. He did everything well. He gave bid on Tues 12/8. He called that night to say that he would not be coming in the next morning because he was out of town and would not be able to get my molding until the next morning. That was ok. Wed morning he called to say the molding guy gave him baseboard not crown molding. He had another job and would be at my house Thurs. No show, no call, no nothing. He finally calls to say uncle died and he did not know when he would be out. He calls back and says he is sorry but he has to make funeral arrangements but will be back Mon 12/15. He shows up and does some work. Tues 12/16 he comes for whole day with two other guys to help. He gets a lot done but had other jobs going on and will be back but not until after Christmas. Tues 12/30 I leave messages. He finally calls to say he will be here Thurs 1/1 first thing in am. He calls at 1030 to say that molding guy stacked second order of molding prior to it being all the way dry so it is damaged. I tell him that is fine, he can come and finish touching up the stuff he already has up. He says he can be here at noon. 1230 he shows up and gets busy. About 3pm he gets call saying other working got hurt on other job and he needs to meet him at hospital. He will call and let me know when he will be back.

I know there are lots of really great contractors out there. This guy is super nice and does a nice job. He is just horrible at customer service. We were betting that he had no intention of completing the job but then he eventually calls back with some excuse and then actually shows up and works. If he had intention of standing us up he simply would not call back.

This is the last thing we need to do on house and only hired it out because I did not want task of hanging molding 25'up. I think when he calls back I am going to ask that he start back up on Monday and work until it is done. Rest of house should only take two more days. Heck, DH and I could have finished ourselves in one, but that is cause we live here and can't flake on ourselves.

Thanks for letting me rant. Someday I will post the final pics.

Comments (19)