SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artlover13060_gw

What Color to Paint Firebox

artlover13060
15 years ago

I read every post I could find on painting fireplace brick but couldn't find anything about painting inside the firebox. I hope someone can help.

I want to paint my fireplace brick white. I know... I've read all the pros and cons, but I really think this will fit with my concept for my LR better than the red brick I currently have. Anyway, inside the fireplace - I believe this is called the firebox - is ugly and discolored. It is an insert with brick textured masonry material of some sort. The floor of the firebox looks like concrete but it is probably the same material without the brick texture. All of it is gray and terribly stained with soot. There are no doors or screens - just an open box.

I spent several hours today cleaning the firebox and am ready to paint which brings me to my question - should I paint the firebox white or black? I can get high heat spray paint in either color. I would prefer white but black would cover the "ugliness" better.

I removed the gas logs and burner and I plan to put something decorative in there like candles or flowers. DH thinks we may want to put a fire in there someday, so I have to keep that option open.

I'm in the south so warmth is not a requirement from the fireplace - I haven't had it on in several years due to the high cost of natural gas.

Comments (7)