SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheshebop

Funeral dinner...Linda?

sheshebop
13 years ago

75 people. How much meat? (Ham)

I thought about a huge tray of escalloped potatoes, maybe some green bean casserole (not my like, but probably most would like it), some macaroni salad, 7-layer salad. Lots of cakes and brownies.

What do you recommend and what amounts?

Sherry

Comments (9)

• lindac
    13 years ago

What time of day...are these people "elderly mostly? Will there be lots of teens?
    What kind of ham? Boneless? Bone in?
    For a normal group...mix of teens, kids and elderly as well as "ordinary people" figure a minimum of 1/4 pound of meat per person....that is meat without considering bone.
    For potatoes....10 pounds of potatoes will be lots for your crowd....but please don't add green bean casserole to scalloped potatoes, and macaroni salad....too much glop...sauce...white creamy stuff.
    For a funeral lunch...with ham, I would serve a creamy veggie pasta casserole ( recipe to follow if you want) with a cheesy sort of alfredo sauce and pasta and veggies like broccoli, carrots, red peppers for color, peas, green beans mushrooms etc. Then maybe that cheesy pineapple casserole....a simple green salad, I'll tell you how I do that if you want.
    And for simple, I ask for cookies and bars..no forks needed nor plates...and we never do paper so that is a consideration...they can put the cookie on the saucer of their coffee cup....or just stand there and gobble them down. I think people really love cookies better than cakes etc....they get to sample this and that, and just one more is good!
    I figure 3 cookies or squares per person....some will eat 6 and some only one and it works out.
    So my menu would be
    Ham, probably 2 20 pound bone in whole hams.
    Veggie pasta casserole..3 or 4 casseroles...3 pounds of pasta and about 20 cups of assorted veggies
    pineapple cheese casserole, 3 8 1/2 by 1...and 3 food service size cans of pineapple...about 2 pounds of cheese...sugar and butter and bread cubes.
    Salad. 3 heads of iceberg.. a pound bag of baby spinach, 1 1/2 pounds of shredded carrots, small head of shredded red cabbage......dressing recipe to follow if you ask
    I would have bread and rolls too...
    And figure 9 or 10 dozen pieces of cookies or bars.
    Good luck!!
    Linda

• lindac
    13 years ago

What time of day...are these people "elderly mostly? Will there be lots of teens?
    What kind of ham? Boneless? Bone in?
    For a normal group...mix of teens, kids and elderly as well as "ordinary people" figure a minimum of 1/4 pound of meat per person....that is meat without considering bone.
    For potatoes....10 pounds of potatoes will be lots for your crowd....but please don't add green bean casserole to scalloped potatoes, and macaroni salad....too much glop...sauce...white creamy stuff.
    For a funeral lunch...with ham, I would serve a creamy veggie pasta casserole ( recipe to follow if you want) with a cheesy sort of alfredo sauce and pasta and veggies like broccoli, carrots, red peppers for color, peas, green beans mushrooms etc. Then maybe that cheesy pineapple casserole....a simple green salad, I'll tell you how I do that if you want.
    And for simple, I ask for cookies and bars..no forks needed nor plates...and we never do paper so that is a consideration...they can put the cookie on the saucer of their coffee cup....or just stand there and gobble them down. I think people really love cookies better than cakes etc....they get to sample this and that, and just one more is good!
    I figure 3 cookies or squares per person....some will eat 6 and some only one and it works out.
    So my menu would be
    Ham, probably 2 20 pound bone in whole hams.
    Veggie pasta casserole..3 or 4 casseroles...3 pounds of pasta and about 20 cups of assorted veggies
    pineapple cheese casserole, 3 8 1/2 by 1...and 3 food service size cans of pineapple...about 2 pounds of cheese...sugar and butter and bread cubes.
    Salad. 3 heads of iceberg.. a pound bag of baby spinach, 1 1/2 pounds of shredded carrots, small head of shredded red cabbage......dressing recipe to follow if you ask
    I would have bread and rolls too...
    And figure 9 or 10 dozen pieces of cookies or bars.
    Good luck!!
    Linda

• lindac
    13 years ago

Gremlins!! I swear I did not hit any other send button!!

• sheshebop
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda, it will be bout 4:00 in the afternoon...a late lunch/early supper thing. Will that make a difference in your recommendations?

• sheshebop
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Creamy veggie pasta recipe please also.

• lindac
    13 years ago

At 4 in the afternoon they will likely eat less....but better to have leftovers than run short.
    The pasta and veggie thing serves me as an all purpose "starch and vegetable" dish.
    I'll e mail the sauce for the casserole, then I can just attach a word file.
    Linda C

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Sherry, Do you want me to bring some chafing dishes?

• sheshebop
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cathy, I am ok on dishes, but thanks anyway.
    Sherry

• diinohio
    13 years ago

Isn't it nice to get an experts advice so quickly?

I love this forum there is always someone that knows the answer!

Di