SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missindia2020

Anyone here experienced w/ scalp psoriasis? Long post..

missindia2020
15 years ago

My DD has eczema on her skin, so when these patches came on her scalp in the late summer, I treated it with Head and Shoulders shampoo. She was sick with other things consistently since August and was going back & forth to her pediatrician. I showed her the patches - she said it was probably psoriasis. When the condition worsened, I took her to a dermatologist who specializes in psoriasis. She has been using a topical steroid on her head (I apply it) and it was clearing up and coming back. Anyhow, we went to the the dermatologist again because I'd noticed on the package insert of the Rx that it was not recommended for children under 12. He asked if I'd read the inserts on Tylenol, etc. He wasn't concerned. He said to continue using it and gave a new Rx for Dovonox (which I got this week and it cost $156 with my insurance! Reg price $235, but my poor child is suffering)

Our DD has had a growth spurt recently, getting taller and bigger; she has always been petite. I didn't think much of it but yesterday I was looking at her cheerleading photo taken 3 weeks ago and looked at a photo taken in June and couldn't believe the vast difference in her face. I thought maybe she was eating more junk so I told her yesterday afternoon that were going to eat a bit healthier as I didn't want her to go through what I've been through (I was a chubby child, etc.). She was perfectly happy with it.

I was driving this morning and was really thinking that her diet hasn't changed at all. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what has changed. Then, it dawned on me that it could be a side-effect from this topical steroid on her scalp. Anything on your scalp can get into your bloodstream according to the dr. I remember seeing or hearing that steroid use can cause weight gain and puffiness.

Does anyone here know anything about this? Does anyone have any experience with psoriasis on the scalp. Poor child's head itches and she is miserable. I'd like to try another treatment but I don't know what. This new stuff hasn't done anything so far.

Thanks for your help!!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH