SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsweenc

Lighting design questions - Pictures included

jsweenc
14 years ago

We are marking our ceilings for the electricians to wire for lights tomorrow. We had a consultation with the lighting guy earlier in the week. Overall we are going with his recommendations, but I wanted some input on pendants.

I am torn between two options:

- Put two large pendants over island, and a collection of minis over the table area

- Put about 5 minis over the island and one large one over the table.

(Third option - use all minis, two different styles and configurations)

I really like these for the large; they are classic, maybe a little boring (confirmed boring - just saw that Maxim calls them "builder basic")

The problem is they are 16" in diameter, which would probably be too big for the island (8.5' x 30"), even using only two. Lighting guy suggested minis over island and one large over table.

This one from Hinkley is 10"; not exactly like the one above but maybe a little more interesting?

With these, I would probably use three

These are some of the minis I am considering

Clarity by WAC

Eden by WAC

Atlantis by WAC

If we put minis over the island, I was thinking of something like this, four or five in a line

If we did this, any of the three minis would work.

If we put minis over the table, I was picturing them like this, six or seven grouped on a circular plate and hung at different levels

If we did this, I think Clarity would work best (though the more I look at these stars, the more I like them).

I'd love to hear opinions, or suggestions for lights you think might look good in the space. I don't have any pictures that would really give a good idea of what we are doing, but here is the layout.

{{gwi:1609692}}

The light over the table would be in line north to south with the edge of the door on the north wall; in line west to east with the lower corner of the pantry bumpout

The rest of the kitchen will be recessed, all on one switch.

FYI -- the second island will be moving south (maybe to Florida if the weather doesn't get better soon!); there will be about 38" between islands; no pendants over smaller one

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (9)