SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Dee - about soy and the thyroid

alisande
14 years ago

Dee, thanks for thinking of me (on the milk thread). I was glad to be reminded to have another look at soy's effect on the thyroid. I knew that Dr. Mercola is very vocal (as always) in opposition to soy, and he still is. But the issue remains controversial, with experts on both sides.

In addition to using soymilk, I eat tofu and occasionally tempeh. I'm always attuned to how foods make me feel, and I've mentioned here that if I eat raw cabbage I have to take kelp; otherwise my thyroid function tanks. But I'm under the impression that tofu makes me feel good--probably because of the plant estrogens it contains.

One point everyone in the literature seems to agree on: phytoestrogen soy supplements can adversely affect the thyroid and should be avoided.

Otherwise, for now I have to conclude that reaction to soy must vary by individual. I'm thinking, too, of my DH, who had most of his thyroid removed in his twenties and took Armour thyroid for the rest of his life. He was, for a number of years, a commercial tofu manufacturer, and we ate a lot of it. He always had a great deal of energy, and he never gained weight or slowed down. He did develop dementia, and I've read about a Japanese study involving dementia risk and tofu. But Joe's condition was diagnosed as something else entirely.

I hope soy never becomes a problem for me. I'm running out of things to eat........ :-)

Susan

Comments (9)