SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

Kraftmaid cabinet back has cracks!

charlikin
15 years ago

So of course I don't notice this until after the project is done and the contractor is paid off and gone. PLEASE someone tell me this isn't something I have to worry about!!! (I know, I'm a terrible worrywart and freak out about everything, but I just don't have the experience to know what is freak-worthy and what isn't!)

I noticed today that the backing on the inside of the cabinet hanging over my sink, where I store dishes, has a few cracks in it. It's Kraftmaid, plywood construction, 36" high, and hung on drywall (as opposed to the opposite side of my kitchen which is a plaster wall). The cabinet's been hanging empty for about 3 months now - I just started putting dishes in it this week. I have no idea when the cracks started appearing - I only noticed them today, but they could have been there the entire time.

Here are some photos:

This is the cabinet with its current contents. The two worst cracks are the dark vertical lines just above and to the left of the middle stack of dishes on the bottom shelf - probably hard to make out in this photo:

Here's a closer look:

So this is no big deal, right? It doesn't mean the cabinet was hung wrong, or that there's structural damage on the brand new drywall, or that the cabinets are going to fall apart and/or fall off the wall? Right???

Reassurance requested!!! Especially hoping to hear from Kompy and/or live_wire_oak as they are our Kraftmaid experts. :-)

TIA!

Comments (9)