Cramping, but no periods
14 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (160)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Cramping? Newbie here
Comments (1)Hi coriss, Have you ever been irregular before? It's probably best to ask your OB/GYN these questions......but I think what starts to happen in perimenopause (and that can happen from late 30's to 50's), is that we start not having enough progesterone. It's progesterone that lets us slough off our uterine lining. Sometimes it builds up too much, and then sloughs off irregularly. Many women during this time have too much bleeding, and also spotting in-between periods. It seems like if you are cramping, you should be seeing some blood soon. You don't want it to build up too much in there.....'cause it could start bleeding too much. Do you feel at all PMS'y? Do you feel like your uterus is really full? I don't think I'd worry about it for a little while longer, unless you get really uncomfortable. Good luck!...See MoreGoing off the pill at 50
Comments (123)I am so glad this discussion is on here! I am 52, and was just told to go off the combo pill in August, after being on it nearly continuously since 17 when I picked it up in college. My blood pressure had started to go up last year, so we figured this was the cause. I had never had high blood pressure before - usually the opposite. I tried reducing salt and increasing exercise for a bit, but it had little impact. So, I was recommended going off or switching to the mini-pill progesterone-only. The first two weeks were fine, then I had a couple of weeks of constant overheating(no 'flashes', just constant hot). I read about how sometimes when you go off the combo pill, your insulin levels can be weird as your other systems take over estrogen and general thermostat regulation, so I cut out all the high spiky insulin foods(think sugar and white rice along with the rest of the online lists of foods to avoid) and reduced some caffeine, and the heat problem turned off completely. Now it has been three months of progesterone only, and I can see my skin aging, and hair growth slowing. I had been having a lot of brain-fog issues the past few years, and those have not changed, sadly. It's very annoying, and I hope that part at least sorts itself out by 60. Bonus and unexpected - my internal base stress level has gone down. It's just easier to cope. I have added rice and sugar back with no problems, and overheating is completely gone. I am sleeping better, although now I have weird little dreams, when I have never been one to remember dreams much at all. I do not have more energy, and some of my hand strength is just gone. Also, mentally, I find I am more detached from things and people, but not in a depressed or destructive way. More the feeling of having a choice about being involved or not, rather than having an immediate reaction (like wanting to scream at the grocery clerk that eye-rolled when asking a valid question). Hoping I am just done, but it's too soon to tell. I get mild cramping with no period, and some spotting during the week I would have normally had one in the '4th week off' time. But it's too soon to write off periods altogether. I am hoping most of the worst of it was masked during the past 5 years. But...I do have female relatives that didn't hit menopause until 56-65. One would have thought with half the planet going through this in their lives that there would be more medical study and progress on this in the last 50 years, but apparently no. lol I think starting a better workout routine and nutrition plan is next on the agenda. Wondering how much of my personality and priority-setting is hormone related. Will be interesting to see who I become now. Maybe my ten year old self has a chance again. :) She was fun....See MoreAll the signs of a period but NO period! Help!
Comments (2)i know that exact feeling. I had "phantom" periods for 6 months after giving up the pill back in April. I had every symptom to say that my period was well on its way, cramps ,bloating, the whole she-bang, but it would just never come. 6 months later i finally got one. Just part of the FUN that comes with Perimenopause! my GYNO never once mentioned that this was a possiblity. as a matter of fact he assured me my periods would be heavy and possibly painful after giving up the pill. not that at 48 i would get thrown full into the peri situation. geez thanks for the warning! not!...See More28 days late in period and severe cramping
Comments (2)Don't be scared - go to the emergency room asap! There are a number of reasons you are hurting....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: Period Details Keep History Alive in Portland
Modern functionality and doubled square footage bring a 1910 kitchen into the present while respecting its past
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHouzz Tour: Victorian With a Modern Outlook
Layering in furnishings from style eras up to the present gives a period home’s decor a collected-over-time look
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN12 Designer Tips to Make a Small Bathroom Better
Ensure your small bathroom is comfortable, not cramped, by using every inch wisely
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNWater Damage Spawns a Space-Saving Bathroom Remodel
A game of inches saved this small New York City bathroom from becoming too cramped and limited
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: A Fresh Look for a Georgian Country Kitchen
Whitewash and understatement help turn the kitchen in this period home from a tricky-shaped room into a stylishly unified space
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Simplicity and Serenity in a Vintage-Modern Remodel
A thoughtful collaboration between client, designer and contractor beautifully blends period charm with modern Japanese style in Seattle
Full Story
ADDITIONSRoom of the Day: A Light-Filled Loft-Style Kitchen Addition
A period London property embraces industrial style and exposed materials with an open-plan layout
Full Story
TRADITIONAL HOMESHouzz Tour: Historic London Home That’s Anything but Stodgy
A giant giraffe, striking art and other playful touches add a lively touch to this grand terraced apartment
Full Story
BATHROOM MAKEOVERSRoom of the Day: Craftsman Bathroom Gets Its Good Looks Back
A bathroom renovation in a century-old home combines era-appropriate style with updated touches
Full Story
TRADITIONAL HOMESHouzz Tour: Historic Victorian Grows to Fit Its Family
Instead of leaving their downtown Santa Barbara home for the suburbs, a couple decided to stay put and add space
Full Story
djandwilliam