SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
favabeans5

expanding kitchen floor plan images

13 years ago

Hi,

Thought I would try this again. We are contemplating adding on to the house and the addition could include adding on an additional 9-10 feet to the back of the house.. the addition is primarily to add a master bedroom above the current den and add on the 2 story addition to allow for a master bath up there.. the new first floor of the 2 story addition could also allow us to expand the kitchen. I would love to move the kitchen back to this new space and also move the dining room out the "den" and into the expanded kitchen... we hate that we don't really have a dining room.. and basically now we don't even use the area i am callng a den but its sort of a dining room with a couch in it..

this image shows a somewhat decent representation of the current kitchen and general layout of the rooms..

if we push the house back to the space indicated below that takes a little room away from the den which is 18x15 and adds a lot more room to the kitchen.. we want to add the open feel to the house and also want to enjoy the view out the back of a pond and nature park that is behind our house.. we can currently see the pond and park from the sink and a couple of seats at the bar in the current pennisula... if we just try to take that layout and push it back we have no place to put the fridge... you can see the general layout and fridge problem in the image below..

It would be great to be able to re-use the appliances and as many cabinets as possible but we are okay with ditching a few cabinets and buy a few new ones.. however.. we could save time and lots of money by just leaving the kitchen exactly where it is and just putting the dining room in the new space.. like the image below.. i like the simplicity but dislike that we don't get to take advantage of the open feel and will also cut back a bit on the view we have from the kitchen sink and the bar.. it would look something like this.. note i cut out the den to focus more on the kitchen floor plan at this point..

that plan again is ideal for cost/time but not ideal for much else.. would make for a nice dining room i guess with lots of windows and nice view..

so an alternative idea i had was to remove the pennisula and put the fridge on the end of that base cabinet run with the range.. then putting an island in place.. the desire for the island is to both create a social space and seating for casual dining that still allows that view of the backyard.. it would look something like below.. would cost more and require new cabinets but i did the first kitchen myself and can do this myself as well so will save on labor.. it might look something like this. we have 2 small kids so island might be a nice place to chat or do homework etc..

just looking for general layout thoughts not necessarily exact cabinets to put where but mostly the appliances/sink/island and I can try to fill in cabinets to make it work..

overall objections are to take advantage of the open feel and get that dining table out of the den.. have a setup for casual socializing and entertaining.. the bar in the pennisula is always full when we have parties so we would want to maintain that.. we do not want to cut back much on the counter space.. do want to take advantage of the view... if we just don't have room for what we want that's okay to.. maybe we get a smaller table that would be fine as well..

appreciate any ideas or suggestions people might have.. thanks a ton ahead of time..

Comments (7)