SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

Furniture placement

mommyto4boys
16 years ago

I'm working on furniture for our new home under construction. The family room/great room is 19X24. The walls are as follows:

1. 24' wall almost entirely with windows

2. 19' wall center is a large fireplace with built ins

on each side

3. 24' opposite windows is a walkway/hallway

4. opposite of fireplace wall is open to the kitchen area

The 24X19 area will be carpet and all usable for furniture, actually minus 3 feet for the fireplace and built-ins. So the "carpet area" is more like 19X21. My original idea was to have a couch in front of the windows, back to the widows, with 3 ft or so between the couch and windows. I was going to place another couch across from it and have a coffee table in the center. Then two chairs would be placed with there backs towards the kitchen. They would be angled towards each other a little with an ottoman in between and a small table between the chairs.

We will soon have 7 in our immediate family and have lots of friends/family over. We want to seat as many as possible. We want the furniture to be comfy and not too formal.

We have had a leather sofa for the past 5 years and love it. I had decided against that this time, but have since revisited the idea. Only thing is I'm not sure if 2 leather sofas are "too much." Perhaps that sounds crazy, I'm just not sure about that look. If we go leather should we do 1 leather sofa by the windows and then 2 comfy chairs away from the kitchen and then just have 2 accent chairs in place of where we would have had another sofa? Hope that makes sense.

A concern is with the two sofas will that close the room off too much from the walkways, etc? Going with the 2 accent chairs as I see it has the disadvantage of minus 1-2 seats and perhaps loosing some comfort.

I would appreciate any help and suggestions you could offer. I have played with some furniture placement on graph paper, etc just hard to visualize. Also, hard to know if I would like the 2 leather sofas. I do like mixing fabrics and consider myself taste eclectic. So, I would not see myself having things matchy match anyways. I do however visualize if going with two sofas, they would be the same.

Thanks!

Comments (2)