SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineerchic_gw

Marble topped pedestal table - what color for base?

EngineerChic
11 years ago

Today I saw this table at the ReStore and swooned. I bought it thinking I could use it as a small coffee table in my soon-to-be living room.

I think it looks silly as a coffee table, it's too tall. But then I tried it as a side table and the heavens opened and angels sang Glory! Glory!

Here is a picture of it:

The room is being converted from storage zone back into a LR so it looks kind of scrappy right now. This room used to hold all the upstairs furniture :)

That brick hearth is 26" front to back, and it leaves this weird no-mans-land in the corner. A big, beefy table like this stakes a claim and says, "this is MY corner, I rule this part of the universe!"

But today that table is sporting red undercoat with gold leaf on top. Not so good. I need to repaint the base, but am not sure what color to use.

White? I don't want the room to look cottagey, I am shooting for a slightly masculine library-esque vibe without being too dark and stodgy.

Gray? What kind of undertone? I tend to pick grays with blue undertones, maybe a more charcoal type of color?

Black? That would keep the fireplace from being the only big black thing in the room ... It's a woodstove insert and it is here to stay.

Chalkboard paint black? Is this too pass� already?

Next to this will be a big leather couch in a color that is called Porcini. It is a mushroomy brown - not a warm or caramel toned brown, but a deeper brown with a hint of gray in it.

I love this table, it is going to make use of that corner well and the marble is lovely. I don't love the gold leaf but when I saw it for $55 I knew I'd regret NOT buying it (and its for a good cause, yada yada yada).

I'm just stumped on what color the base should be. Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (12)