SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamahen123

Slice of life #10- Happy 2014

countryatheart
10 years ago

I had to laugh when the weatherman referred to Chicago as Chi-beria this morning. Its cold, snowy and the wind is howling. Why does each news channel have to send a reporter out to show us what the streets look like? It's winter! We know what the streets are going to be like. Anyway, Happy New Year everyone. May all your projects go smoothly.

My cat keeps wanting to go outside. He gets about 10 feet from the door and turns around to come in. I don't blame him!

Comments (50)

• Sandy1963
    10 years ago

Lol, my cat hates the cold weather too, so he's been spending most of his time in front of the TV !

• sixtyohno
    10 years ago

We were just laughing and wondering why the weather person needed to suffer in the cold and snow. A camera view of the outdoors does fine, or better yet, I can look out my own window. I guess once one reporter braves the outside, they all follow.
    So i hope everyone stays dry and warm and has a wonderful 2014.
    Laura

• Related Discussions

2014 commercial seed swap 2

Q

Comments (82)
    Wheel of fortune style.....take your spin once a day! i _ / i / h _ d / _ / _ _ o _ _ _ / _ o_ / _ _ _ _ _ / t i_ _ / i/ t h o _ _ ht / o_ / _ o _ / i / c o _ _ d / _ _ _ _ / th _ o _ _ h/ _ _ / _ _ _ d _ _ / _ o _ _ _ _ _. Annie and Jaynine, I'll keep my on the mailbox. Cghpnd, Your welcome, It's fun for the most part. I'm not going to make this a big issue and I will not post here about it again BUT.......... I had to ask a player to leave the swap for dishonest trading (using collected seeds). If you have ever gotten seeds in the swap, grew them out and they were not what color/name you thought they would be. I'm so Sorry!. Leann, I got your seeds in yesterdays mail. Did you make a list of what you sent off to me? If so, please email me the list.
    ...See More

part lll...slice of life...

Q

Comments (150)
    We used to have get togethers on Kitchens. Cat_Mom organized one in Manhattan in 2007 and we had 13 of us at lunch and shopping and Union Sq afterwards. She had one more after that and I couldn't make it. We don't get up to NYC like we used to. My DH and I have gone to WA and met up with Rhome and her DH...we actually all got together 2 times in one week ! It was great. Perhaps we need to try it here on Deco. Mustangs that is a very impressive number 33 !! Love the puppies on the pillows and the food pics and the cartoon ! Motherof3sons...what time ?? I have bagels !! Thank you patty sweet compliments. This is what I was watching out of my sitting room window last evening. So beautiful. c I just scrolled through part ll...there were several pics that I missed. Betty's birds and a pic of Venice/boats were two. So many moments shared. Please link to this part lll when you start part lV. That way they won't get lost. Here is a link that might be useful: slice of life 2 link
    ...See More

Part 9. Slice of Life.

Q

Comments (83)
    Awm03, good for your DH getting out and doing his walks! Badgergal and city, those girls are so cute. They grow up fast. My oldest DGD will be 14 this Sat! Kswl, I meant to write earlier but I forgot where I saw your post. The Nellie R Stevens hollies will get pretty big. I'm sure you know that, right? Or is Nellie B a smaller variety? It will be beautiful with the camellias and yews. And it's exciting to start fresh with new landscaping.
    ...See More

WSJ Top 10 Design Trends of 2014

Q

Comments (36)
    I'm at a loss with those listed. Do they just come up with "stuff" to get our attention. My husband had a hanging macrame when we met. 8' wide and really was a work of art. I did have some pain in letting it go 25+ years ago, but have never looked back. They do degrade to a point of time for letting go. And depending upon the material used, are magnets for a multitude of landing minute. What eludes me is the pics of what was. Would think if any of this is 2014 there would be a transitional take on them. It would be fun to see a list of "trends" from this group. If the decorator of today can do one, so can we. A game of sorts with positive responses. Corduroy has been in my life forever, 4 couches have been recovered and they wear like iron are are easily cleaned. I love it on a couch and never considered it a trend per se, my wonderful naps come first on them . Although I will always remember shopping for one and a salesman telling me it was so "passe". And so I am, but totally comfortable with it in my surroundings.
    ...See More
  • Bethpen
    10 years ago

Here's my photo of the day...the line at our waffle business at a ski mountain in NH. Finally after months and months we can actually put money in the bank! The snowy weather is at least good for something.

The greatest news is that my oldest friend has rented a ski house nearby and I will actually get to spend some time with her this winter.

Beth P.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

I hate to be so ignorant, but what the heck . . . what's a waffle business?

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

LIttlebug, we sell Belgian waffles at a ski resort. It's like street food..they are cooked with pearl sugar inside, so they are sweet. We sell them either plain or with chocolate drizzled on top. Our best customers are 12 year old boys and hungover 21-year-olds. :)

Beth P.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

So you eat them like a piece of toast, not on a plate with syrup and piled with fruit, etc? Obviously, I'm a flatlander and have never been skiing. :)

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Exactly! They are sweet, the chocolate is a Belgian Melting chocolate and it sort of hardens in the cold.

• countryatheart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth they sound yummy. I can see why the line is out the door!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Last night we had a party...our post holiday decompression session. Despite the risky weather with freezing rain, everyone showed up and we all had such a great time. I made Strombolis which went like mad, as did my crock pot kielbasa and mushroom tartlets. I had to make a second batch of punch it was so popular. And everyone brought something so we have acres of food, despite my best efforts to get people to take stuff home. One neighbor brought a pear cake that someone made still warm from the oven, another brought a cheese fondue. We had hot wing dip, hot crab dip, home made bruschetta, and tons of home made cookies. I'm going to have to get DH to bring some to the gym...otherwise I will eat them all for sure. Then I went downstairs with the children who had great fun in the exercise room....they were using the weight bench, running on the treadmill and trying to figure out how to Nordic trak. The conversation level was high, which is always a good sign, so I think a good time was had by all. I overheard several people commenting on how nice the house looked and how well designed it was for parties. Made me smile inside. After all, what's the purpose of building and decorating our houses if not to share it with others? It's the people inside that make it a home....

Now is the 12th day of Xmas, the decorations can come down and the house go back to normal.

Sorry I was too busy hostessing to take any pics of the festivities...

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Bethpen what a great choice in a business..
    Waffles can go in so many directions.
    I don't know if you are year round there
    but waffles are always a year-round treat.
    Best wishes on your "busy" business !

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Thank you forboystoo, so far so good! Relying on the weather is a little risky, but so far, so good. It was nice to put some money IN the bank yesterday.

Eventually we will retire to NH and that will be a nice thing to keep us busy.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Beth, I love waffles!

I agree Annie, you have a beautiful home and it's nice of you to share it with others. Nice too that you didn't compete with other parties that happen this time of the year.

We are having our work holiday party this week. Our schedule was too hectic to have one before Christmas. I think we will all appreciate it more this week.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Who me?

My cat Pretty decided to go under my old gas stove awhile ago. I heard a bunch of commotion under there and clanging of metal. Then all got quiet for a long time. Finally I thought I'd better see what she was up to and if she really did climb up into the stove like I imagined. Yep. I lifted the burner grill and pan off and there sat a little white butt. I grabbed her, turned her around, and by the scruff of the neck squeezed her up between the burners and out. I know she must have sensed a mouse in the stove because I found evidence this morning on the shelf above the stove. ugh. It's the first time I've noticed mice in the house for a long time. So I set a trap - but not where a curious cat can find it. :) I was trying to photograph the dirt smudges on her fur but they didn't show up very well.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Good Kitty! for trying to get the mouse. Glad she didn't run into the pilot light.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Good thing I decided to check before I lit a burner. (no pilot light thank goodness - for her sake). In fact now I'll be paranoid EVERY time I go to light the burner. : )

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Well since there's a kitty trend going on here, I feel compelled to participate, LOL! Little Kitty brought home a bird the other day, unbeknownst to us, as she was hiding in the bushes with it. But Babycat knew immediately somehow, ran over and wrangled the bird away from her, and then had the nerve to prance to the back door with it in mouth, in his usual "Look at me, look at me, look at ME" manner...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

So much fun today...my cousin came over with his favorite model to use my house as a backdrop for his photography. This is the gal who came over (this pic not from today, of course) and let me tell you...the camera doesn't begin to capture her beauty. She's quite a stunner with the most amazing eyes.

{{!gwi}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Of the photos he's shown me so far, this is by far my very favorite. The lace we used to create the shadows was the same lace I used to make the bridal veil.

{{!gwi}}
    Photographer: Kevin Stiles
    Model: Melantha Cassytha

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

How I'm spending my afternoon:

My helper:

• Sandy1963
    10 years ago

Love your helper, schoolhouse!

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

She needs a bath. She likes to prowl around in the mud and snow.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Last weekend I went to our beach house in RI to "check on the house" aka get a break after a few very stressful weeks. I walked on the beach and was all alone except for this little guy.

• User
    10 years ago

We have a huge roll off dumpster in the side drive, and the basement remodel is well underway. Contractor is also going to do the repairs from our frozen pipe flood. It's an unholy mess downstairs. I am trying not to go down there. Final price tag on the brick floor is $22 per square foot. I just hope we love it, but a little bit nervous at this point.

Oh, and can you see the creek flooding in the background? All it does here is rain! DS can't even get through with a Polaris to pick up the fallen limbs from all the wind. Our burn pile from the last 30 days is now approximately 16ft x 10ft, just waiting for it to dry out enough to light. . Good times in the country.....sometimes I feel like Zsa Zsa Gabor in Green Acres, without the pigs.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Southern Maine Sunday AM 1/19/14 - Sticky Snow on everything!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

kswl, for $22 sq ft, you will love it! Yikes!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Love seeing everyone's photos.

I bought a tagine from Williams-Sonoma, so I made a recipe out of a cookbook DH bought me "Tagines & Couscous" as part of my Christmas present. Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives.

Really turned out great!

• User
    10 years ago

Yes, Annoe, I will either love it or move! Omg, am I insane?

On a happier note, my DD moved into a loft apt that has the same square footage as her previous place (and is I. The same bldg) but layout is completely odd. She did not have room for both of the fabulous chairs from my3dogs, so I have, ahem, appropriated one for our basement reno. Can't you just see it, mythree, on a brick floor??? Very excited about this part. And yes, we know that every leg of every single stick of furniture will have to be shimmed so they don't rock on the lovely, handmade brick floor....

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 9:14

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Yes! I can see those chairs on a brick floor, but photos will be very welcomed, of the whole area once it gets done. I know there are many of us who can't wait to see it.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

wow, these pics are all so great! love the kitties, the model (is she wearing . . . a sheet?), the creek flooding pic (thought that was a river in the background).

Here's a pic of the in-construction progress of my screened porch. Almost done! the screens and interior finishing are still needed. Paint color is off though and will need to be fixed.

• User
    10 years ago

My3, your icy Maine photos are making me shiver! How do you coax your dogs outside on days like this? I have one who is so reluctant to get his prissy pads wet that he has to be carried outside.

They are drying in the ceiling right now. The basic elements of the area will be brick floor, hardiplank siding on exterior wall (painted of course), current divided light French door switched for single pane, and --- wait for it--- a pool table no one will let me give away! It is modern looking oak that I will have re-felted (either in chocolate brown or brick red) once we get the other colors in place. The built in media cab in corner is going to be reworked to accommodate a 52" flat screen hanging in front of it (instead of inside it as a smaller screen is now). We are going to order a sofa and two club chairs from Wesley hall, I think (trying to save a bit there) and two daybeds in the front room with black and white ticking mattress/cushions. The only furniture we actually HAVE is your chair! Now all I need is wall color, two humongous rugs, artwork, and a brain transplant.

• Danahills
    10 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 19:15

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Here is my 93 year old MIL and her sister getting a lesson in how to use the ipad mini that we just bought for them. Neither has ever used a computer before or been on the Internet. They are both excited to enter this phase of the technology world and are catching on fairly quickly.

My MIL is a sweet lady who never says an unkind thing. She reported that the other day, the iPad started talking to her. (She hadn't had her Siri lesson yet, so she didn't know what was happening). She said she got a little frustrated and exclaimed "oh this damm thing". Siri promptly reprimanded her for using bad language. Needless to say we are still laughing about that.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Badgergal - I truly laughed out loud! Good for you and good for your MIL. Last year, when my FIL said he wanted to get a new computer and asked my opinion, I steered him to the latest MAC. He never calls any more with tech support issues...:) We gave him my IPAD and set up a wireless network for him this Christmas and he loves it.

Rain last week and then more snow (a surprise) last night and today. We haven't seen the sun in a while....

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Love seeing the wet and Snowy pics. We are parched here in Ca. Getting scary. Kswl: " all it does here is rain ". I am drooling at the sight . Feast or famine, for sure! My3 dogs, the pic of snow laden branches is frame worthy. I adore your property!
    Oldbat2br, very evocative scene of winter from inside your lovely room. Sigh. At least we are back down in the 70's now. Picked the last of the roses before cutting back.

• User
    10 years ago

Martinca, unfair! Your grass really IS greener!

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

What a wonderful feeling it must be to walk into that room with that view oldbat. Love it.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

M3D, I'm coming to your house!

This is what we've been doing during this cold winter. Some of you may recall the beginnings of the greenhouse my DH and DS built over the summer.

It's nice to have our own lettuce and tomatoes for a salad!

The plants on the floor to the left is tobacco. lol. DS likes to have the occassional pipe and cigar so he decided to experiment.

The flowers on the ground lining the walls are wildflowers.

Just about every flower and veggie was grown from seed.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

All three of my dogs love the snow! Even Sam, who will turn 14 in April, gets excited and goes out and lays in it, even in sub-zero temps, scaring the heck out of me. All three of them are lying on their favorite blankets right now, so they enjoy both cold and cozy.

Oak, I'll trade you the -11 below temps coming Wednesday for that greenhouse! To be able to pick my own salad this time of year would be fabulous.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

oaklyok--I

• awm03
    10 years ago

Oh gosh, winter cabin fever must be setting in. These pictures are making my senses fire up, like I've seen too much of my own gray environment. All your pictures of different environs, or flowers, or colorful or sunny scenes are sending a jolt of good feelings through me: Slice of Life's version of electroshock therapy for winter blahs! (Although I've learned to enjoy winter's delicate light and coloring a lot...)

Oakley, you could do a nice business right now selling tickets to tour your greenhouse paradise to snowbound Gardenwebbers. I have my credit card ready!

martinca, those fabulous roses in the sparkling crystal pitcher in the sunny window...ohhhhhhh! That's as good as an hour under a sun lamp :)

me3dogs, I love that 4th picture, the stream in the snowy woods.

kswl, I'm laughing at your picture of the bucolic stream & woods, the elegant brick & iron fence...and the dumpster.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I wish I could capture a pic to post - I'll keep trying. In the Spring I put out a hanging suet feeder, sans suet, and stuff it full of cat hair that the birds use to line their nests. It's great fun to see them fly off with beaks full of fur.

I forgot to take it in last fall and this morning an Anna's Hummingbird was gleaning the fur for her nest. In JANUARY! In Olympia! It's 40 degrees out (I know that's warm to many of you right now) and it will be down to freezing tonight. Just seems a bit early to me, but at least her babies will be toasty in their kitty fur bed.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I have to give most of the credit to my DH and DS for growing everything.

M3D, we're beginning to get part of the new Vortex this week, but no snow, darnit!

I'd really like my state to legalize pot so I could make some good money. heh.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Bad news: my ski boot exploded on Saturday. Good news: I bought beautiful, sexy new boots that made me the happiest girl on the hill!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

While I was working on my punch list, DH was busy baking...made orange cranberry muffins and graham crackers. The house smells delicious!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Meanwhile, the budgies started loading up on seed and suet as the snow started falling...poor things are in for some rough weather.

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

gsciencechick, I too received a tagine for Christmas AND I made the chicken with preserved lemons and olives!!! Too funny. My tagine looks almost identical to yours. The chicken was wonderfully tender and moist and the spices are TDF.

I really like the winter snow pictures! I love winter, especially after a snow.

Diane in Colorado

• Danahills
    10 years ago

Mid January in the Black Hills of SD. It was in the 50's yesterday and I took this picture of two iris bulbs already coming up. I planted them last fall. They are a little hard to see, but they are at the bottom of the picture. And, you can see catnip beginning to grow at the top of the picture. It is supposed to be about 50 again today. Can't complain about those temps in January.........

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Kitty paws.

• denali2007
    10 years ago

Cold weather here in VA too, but we have been getting some great sunsets.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Did you know that birds can count???

Every morning, it takes me 2 trips to put the bird food out. The birds wait for me, but when I show up, they take off. When I come out for the 2nd time, still no birds.

But the other morning, I had to come out for an unexpected 3rd time and the place was full of birds. Of course, they took off when I went out. But it's clear to me, they can count... at least to 2!