SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akgildea

Need layout advice re: vent hood!!

akgildea
10 years ago

Desperate for some good advice from smart, creative people! I have searched here and Houzz for a similar dilemma and solutions, but have found none. I'm building, and will soon need to decide how to proceed with this vent hood challenge which I've been losing sleep over for weeks. I've posted my crude sketches here, made on the photos of the roughed-in walls in the soon-to-be kitchen of my vacation home. Here's the scenario:

Wall behind stove/refrig is an interior wall; there's a mudroom behind it, with a lower sloped roof than the ceiling in the great/kitchen room (thus, the windows). I have opted not to vent the hood to the outdoors due to lots of complicated building reasons, but also because I really hardly ever use the vent hood in my home and I can't see starting now. (Different thread discusses the use -- or not -- of vent hoods. I know; I've been a voyeur on that one too!) So yea, this vent hood is for LOOKS, and pretty much looks only.

At it's highest point, above the clerestory windows, the sloped ceiling in this room is 18ft. And as you can see from my crude sketch, the area over the range where the vent hood will be is NOT centered exactly between the two clerestory windows; it's skewed a little to the right. [In case you're really alarmed now, rest assured the clerestory windows span the length of the house and the great room, and really are balanced in relation to the rest of the space; just not so in relation to the range.]

So here's the dilemma: Do I end the top of the vent hood chimney in line with the top of the cabinets? If so, how can I do that without making it look completely false? Do I put a shelf or something (soffit?) across the top of the cabinets, topping off the vent hood chimney as well? OR -- do I run the vent hood chimney all the way to the sloped ceiling? That seems like it might be overkill, and look even more false than the cabinet/shelf idea.

I sooooo need some advice!! Please help -- ALL ideas are welcome! FYI: My style is modern mid-century, with rustic accents. The vent hood is stainless, all appliances stainless, and the cabinets are GOAK (from ReStore) -- at least to start with. I may ditch them later, but I'm doing this on the cheap to get started.

Comments (23)