SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amberdiva

Hormones or antidepressants for intolerable Perimeno symptoms????

amberdiva
15 years ago

Everyone's stories have helped me a lot, so I'll share mine and ask advice at the same time. I'll try to include detail, because I've found that helpful in these discussions. I am the last person to reach for pills, and believe the body usually knows best when it comes to healing. However the past 6 months have been a living hell. It started innocently enough with some irregular periods until they were coming only once every 8 -10 weeks or so. Then I started to get a peculiar throbbing sensation in my head that kept me awake most nights. OK, I'm 47, I could live with that. Then came 2 days of nausea preceding a period, followed by 2 weeks of severe nausea and anxiety every morning, sometimes lasting all day. This has happened twice so far. It's gotten so I dread the next period. I've driven my doctors nuts trying to figure out what is wrong with me, but perimenopause seems to be the most logical explanation. My FSH level has been rising for the past year (to 38). I asked my Dr. about hormone pills, but he put me on Effexor because of the dangers of hormones. The Effexor at only 37 mg/day for the first week lowered my heart rate to 52, increased nausea and gave me crushing headaches. I stopped it after 6 days with no withdrawal side effects and my heart rate returned to normal (73) within 2 days. I would have stuck with it if it hadn't been for the heart rate thing, that is a rare side effect. Also, I've never had a hot flash and I think Effexor is primarily prescribed for hot flashes. Clearly it has some effect on the vascular system, which could explain how it improves hot flash symptoms. I've made an appointment in Ob-Gyn to beg for hormones. Some people have trash-talked hormones and antidepressants on this board, but they clearly haven't experienced the debilitating symptoms that some of us are dealing with. I have cancelled all my summer travel plans and may have to quit my job. My family is also showing signs of stress wondering if mommy is going to have a "good" day or a "bad" day. I haven't used any medications in years, but there was a time when Ambien and Xanax probably saved my life. If anyone has had success with Zoloft or low-dose birth control pills for perimenopause symptoms I would love to hear about your experience. Thanks for listening!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer