SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosegarden3

Please help Raspberry & Strawberry Jam

rosegarden3
14 years ago

I wanted to start making my own raspberry and strawberry jam. My mom told me that there is a recipe on the sure jell box. So I went to buy sure jell and no recipe one the box. So no problem I'll just go to the sure jell web site and I found a recipe there. I was making the raspberry jam it said to add the berrys then the sugar cook until boiling THEN add the pectin and boil for 1 min. So as I open the sure jell box I find the recipe that comes with it inside the box. I finish making my jam then read the recipe from inside the box. Now it says to add the berrys and the pectin THEN the sugar and cook for 1 min. My raspberry jam taste good but it is not as firm as I would like but I did just make it last night(I could not wait to have toast and jam this morning). I don't know if it will continue to firm up a little as it has not been 24 hours yet. so my question is witch recipe is better or does it even matter if you put the sugar or the pectin in first? would it even effect how it sets?

I don't know if this matters but the raspberries I used I picked about 4 hours before I made the jam and most were fully ripe and some that were not as fully ripe(still all pink) I'm thinking that how ripe the berrys are may effect how it sets as most of them were just about falling off the bush.

So all in all when I tip the jar the jam will flow very slowly kinda like molasses. I have never made jam before and it has been so many years since my mom made any, that I don't remember what it should look like. LOL The bottom line is that it taste good! but I would like to make strawberry jam soon and would like to know if I did anything wrong, or if that is the way it should be at this point.

thanks

Rose

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert