SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjr220

Second dishwasher location -- around corner in peninsula?

rjr220
14 years ago

Main question: is it possible, or am I asking for trouble by positioning a DW drawer in a peninsula, around the corner from the main sink and DW? Most of the time we will be eating at the peninsula: silverware, plates, cups, etc, will be located in the wall cabs and the drawer stacks between the 2 washers.

Story behind question: Months ago I posted my original plans (and reposted after suggestions). Figured out that unless I moved a wall and made a long, narrow LR even narrower, an island just wasn't going to happen. As suggested, I flipped where peninsula was originally planned, and went for narrow bank of pantry and hutch to allow for an acceptable walkway. We've talked and have decided not to have a prep sink is in kitchen. But instead, I am opening the current pass-thru window -- which will allow me to interact more with the kids as they are on the computer (like they even note my precense) as I do prep work. We are getting the Koher Stages 45: the shallow end will be the prep side, the basin will be the clean-up side. I am considering 2 faucets as well.

My husband continues to ask to try and squeeze in another DW. Without ripping up current floor and drilling thru slab. :] So, by looking at plans from Rhome or Buehl, I thought that I could put a DW drawer (I don't think we need another full DW) in peninsula, around corner from sink and main DW. This is the proposed layout.

{{!gwi}}

My husband's concern is that a dishwasher plumbed around a corner is asking for trouble in regards to the risk of leaking water and waste -- that it needs to be adjacent to the sink. I don't think that we have room on the R side of the sink without losing prep area, trash pull-out, etc.

This is an elevation of the sink wall

{{!gwi}}

and the peninsula

{{!gwi}}

what the heck. Here is the range wall and then, the frig/pantry wall.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I didn't mean for this to be soooo long. Just in case you've forgotten my question -- is it asking for trouble to put a DW around a corner, away from the sink. And, of course, any other thing that catches your mind.

and Holligator, if you're listening, we need to get together!

Good night!

Rita

Comments (7)