SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hailefinn

Silestone counter uneven

hailefinn
16 years ago

My kitchen was done in 2003 (due to a fire) and I found this great site in time to learn about undermounted sinks etc but too late to wire for undercabinet lights. Now my problems---Cabinets and 3 cm" Silestone counter was ordered thru HomeDepot--their subcontractors did the installation.

The counter is uneven at one seam---I can not slide a dish across this very slight uneven spot. I'm not sure if this was uneven from the start but I really started paying attention last year. I do remember the head Silestone guy running his hand over this area when he came to check his installer's work. Also at the outside edge of this seam a small amount of the silicon grout has fallen out.

Another problem--the Silestone subcontractor did not template (as shown on the Silestone web site) for the counters---he only measured with a ruler. When I saw one of the HD KD's I told her about him not templating and she said that is what she had heard too. Well on one wall the Silestone does not go to the wall leaving a gap. When the guy checked after the counter was installed ( backsplash tile not in yet) he saw the gap and stated "oh the backsplash guys can fill that gap up with something". Well the tile backsplash guy just put regular grout in the gap. The grout has been slowing falling out. I did not know at the time the space between the counter and backsplash should be sealed with silicon, not regular grout.

I have put off dealing with this until the first of the year. Has anyone else had these type of problems? Do you think it has been too long since installtion? I would like to hear your comments before I call HomeDepot. Maybe you can give me some pointers on what to say.

Comments (6)