SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baltomom_gw

Period after 15 months without one -- need D&C?

baltomom_gw
10 years ago

I'm scheduled to see my GYN next week to decide whether to have an endometrial biopsy or a D&C. She told me today that a scan I had last week showed my uterus is thicker than normal (she didn't give the measurement) for a postmenopausal woman. I have not had a period for 15 months, then I suddenly in late December (a month ago) had all the regular symptoms (breast tenderness, discharge, bloating, crampy, etc.) of a normal period. Then I had five days of slight oozing, then I got a migraine, as I always used to a few days after my period.

Anyone had this happen? Did you get a biopsy or a D&C? My GYN told me on the phone that if the lining of my uterus is too thick, they have to do a D&C or it puts me at risk for cancer.

Somehow, this does not make sense to me. She also said I have a cyst on my ovary. But she was in no rush to see me, so didn't sound like this is an emergency.

I feel like I just had a period, with a teensy bit of bleeding, and that the uterine thickness and cyst are a result of the period. A D&C seems like overkill.

But if my uterine wall is thick, will it sort of "reabsorb" on its own, or do I have to have a period? And can't I take prevaro (sp?) or progesterone to induce the shedding of the lining without having a D&C?

I feel like doctors LOVE to intervene too much. Of course I don't want to miss something in case I am so unlucky as to have cancer, but more than a biopsy seems too invasive (general anesthesia scares me).

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm feeling very anxious.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County