SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Wreaths - yay or nay

mtnrdredux_gw
12 years ago

I have two square boxwood wreaths on my front barn door . And four more on each of our gates (those are pine and round).

I say, once we remove the bows etc, we can keep them up indefinitely.

DH disaggreed but allowed he'd defer to the collective wisdom of GW.

yay or nay?

Comments (40)

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    12 years ago

I say yes until Spring. I just hung a plain pine and pinecone wreath on my door; no bow. It will stay there until end of Feb.

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

yes indeedy.

• Related Discussions

Yay or Nay on paint color.

Q

Comments (11)
    I think this may have posted 2x... this was the additional info I added to the other post... Thank you for all the feedback.   Here is a picture of the front of the house.  This is also the original color as we have only painted the back. The roof is currently a light gray, but we are going to change it to a charcoal gray.  We are going to paint the front door white. The front will look more colorful as we plant a lot of colorful flowers in the front.  The pavers on the driveway and sidewalk are a gray color. They are different than the red brick around the pool.   The neighbors homes are grays, yellow, beige, and brown. The trim and garage door will remain white and the body of the house will be copen blue.
    ...See More

Rug-Yay or Nay for sunroom

Q

Comments (2)
    Why gray? I see golds and brown and cream colors in the furnishings, though they’re hard to see. Shift gears to lighter warm creamy colors , maybe a bit of soft green mixed in. Them that would look good with somd green houseplants added.
    ...See More

Bathroom......Yay or Nay.

Q

Comments (32)
    Neither yay nor nay........it depends on what the other options are, and what the rest of the house is like. Certainly not my ideal, but not a deal breaker for me either. Obviously a compact urban setting, and if this was an add-on because the original bathroom(s) in the house are tiny, I'd add some decorative non-slip floor mats and enjoy the space that the other bathroom(s) in the house don't offer. The views will always be crowded urban because that's where some people want to live.
    ...See More

42” bathroom yay or nay.

Q

Comments (13)
    We did this two years ago in the same situation. It is great! :) Our shower is the same size and feels plenty big. Wall-hung toilets can help with the clearance--our city requires 24" clear. What is on the other sides of the long wall? I might also explore poaching or rebalancing space depending on what's there and whether those walls are load-bearing. If you post a floor plan, people may have suggestions.
    ...See More
  • lindac
    12 years ago

Absolutely.....and when spring comes, if theya ren't brown, add some spring things like a little bird, or small bird houses, or a wooden bunny....IF they aren't brown!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Yes you can keep them up, but if they are still nice by next Christmas, you will probably want something new. I don't like just throwing a bow on my year 'round things and calling that Christmas. So, I would probably take them down and save them for next year.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

absolutely!! i leave them up every year til spring...usually by then they are turning alittle brown-
    occasionally, in years past, i 'dressed them up' for valentine's or mardi gras, but usually i leave them up unadorned!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Definitely. I keep mine up until March unless they start dropping needles or turn brown as Linda said. Mine usually last just fine, though. I like the touch of green on the doors.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I vote to leave them up, nix the bow. Is the boxwood treated so it stays soft and doesn't drop leaves? ;o)

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

Well, boxwood smells like cat urine, really. Our daughter
    moved her boxwood away from her gazebo for this reason.

• rafor
    12 years ago

I bought a pretty green boxwood wreath for Christmas 2010. After Christmas I hung it on the door in the breezeway that goes into the garage. Over time it aged to a pretty wheat yellow. It's still on that door.

So I say, of course you can leave it up!!!!!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I'm on my way outside too.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I am in the camp that it definitely smells like urine but the dried might not. Google it, lots of people think so.

• natal
    12 years ago

So what's the verdict? I don't even know what a boxwood is.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

It's also called the 'litter-box shrub' because
    it smells like cat pee.

on my front door I keep a grapevine wreath with a little
    bit of silk flowers and baby's breath.
    I spray it almost every day with my favorite
    fragrance, like asian spice or fresh linen spray... (I keep a spray bottle
    by the door so it's convenient to give the wreath a spritze.)
    Everyone that enters comments how devine the house smells,
    they actually don't realize they caught a wiff of the wreath on the way in.

• yogacat
    12 years ago

Hmm. Never had problems with boxwood smelling like cat urine, but juniper certainly does! I wonder if it's a particular kind of boxwood that's problematic.

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

English boxwood smells horribly.

• Sujafr
    12 years ago

Yikes, those were scary words! Even though it's dark and raining, I raced outside and broke off a couple little stems of my boxwood lining the front walk. It's True Dwarf Boxwood (max ht is about 2-3 ft--nice round ball shape), purchased from Lowes or HD, and I'm happy to report that there is absolutely no cat urine smell...in fact really not much odor, if any. Perhaps it's because we've been having rain for the past couple days, but I hope not. Whew!! Who wants their friends to be surrounded by cat urine as they arrive!

BTW--I also agree that the wreath can stay up without the bow...lovely!

• leahcate
    12 years ago

Funny, I've always loved the smell of boxwood because it was by my granny's porch and is a very nostalgic scent to me. Have read that others do think it smells like cat pee, but not me, so I don't care!
    natal...good grief girl! For real? That's almost akin to not knowing ivy!
    Does boxwood really last that long....months after cutting?
    Go for it for sure.

• leahcate
    12 years ago

re-read and see that my last looks like a slam, and want you to be sure it's definitely not the case...just a real shock, as it is as familiar to me as a maple or a camellia. You are fer sure not into English gardens!

• pfmastin
    12 years ago

LOL! Years ago when I'd go visit my Mom in Texas, I kept washing her front porch knowing that cats were marking their territory on it. It was bordered by a short boxwood hedge. :)

• natal
    12 years ago

Leahcate, maple and camellia I know ... boxwood no. When I Googled I saw a lot of perfect box shaped and meatball shaped shrubs. Not my thing.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I have two planters at my front door and I'm taking the bows off and keeping them until sSpring, or they turn brown whichever comes first. So yea, take the bows off and keep them.

• User
    12 years ago

No. Not because they are boxwood, but because wreaths are passe.

ducking to avoid the arrows, lol....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm, I am hyper sensitive to scents but I didn't smell anything.

I know what you mean about wreaths being passe. Like most things, I think it depends. These wreaths are square and very full and I like the way they look on my barn doors. Whatever they may be, I don't think they are passe.

The round pine wreaths on the entrance gates i bought under duress and they are kinda passe. But I like the way they look on the white wood. I may have to think of some other decorative element there. I think it makes the entrances look more welcoming.

• User
    12 years ago

Mtnredux, do you have lights on your gate posts? I think that makes an entrance look very inviting, in day or night. A white gate is just naturally welcoming :)

We put Christmas wreaths of fir on our front gates and had to go back and wire the bottoms so they wouldn't flap wildly in the wind as they opened for cars. They looked great for about two weeks, but when the holiday season is over they just looked an afterthought.

I did not realize you had a barn on your property. Is that where you are keeping the square boxwood wreaths? And fwiw, I have always LOVED the smell of boxwoods, especially in summer, and never once thought they smelled of cat.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

I couldn't smell the boxwoods either, but my daughter
    and hubby sure could...get the family involved on this smell test...:)

I agree with you mtnrdredux, go by what I like not what's
    in or what's out. I learned a long time ago, nothing
    is passe if you like it, besides eventually in comes
    back in style...and besides as Ricky Nelson said in
    "I Went to a Garden Party"...you can't please everyone,
    but you've gotta please yourself."
    J

...and a wreath on the door is welcoming and festive, and
    that's a good thing. :)

• busybee3
    12 years ago

we have quite a bit of boxwood because it is one shrub that the deer don't touch!! haven't once thought of cat pee while near it--can't remember it's variety.

it's a great shrub, nice deep green color, grows well in our area/soil, and can be pruned into perfect little boxes or meatballs, but doesn't have to be!!(i'm not into that look either!)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Some varieties stay green in the winter, btw. No browning or yellowing.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

We keep our mixed greens wreath up until it looks bad... usually some time in March.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Although I don't have any, boxwoods are very common here. I do like the boxwood wreaths and I thought the square ones you posted looked great! I'd leave them up through winter. I have an antique copper boiler on the front porch - I filled it with fir, magnolia and holly right after Thanksgiving. I also tucked in some large pinecones and some of those shatterproof, glittered ornaments. Last week I pulled out the ornaments and put in new magnolia and holly clippings. I plan to leave it out at least through January. It's nice to have the greenery through the winter months.

tina

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I bet the smell of Boxwood is in our DNA like Brussel Sprouts are. It has to do with a mutated gene that some of us have. No kidding, I read about this years ago. BS taste bitter and just awful for some people. Look it up. I would but it's too early. lol

So I bet the smell of Boxwoods are the same way. I plant flowers near my boxwoods and I've never smelled anything unusual, but I like Brusel Sprouts too. lol.

What I do know is I won't get near our Boxwoods with a ten foot pole in the summer because yellow jackets love to nest in them, along with our English Ivy, and it's impossible to see their nests. DH has to do the weeding on that side of the garden. :)

• natal
    12 years ago

Oakley, you might be on to something. It's the same with paperwhites ... some people think they stink, others don't. I do.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Keep the wreaths up until they start to turn yellow/brown. What a waste it would be to just trash them because Christmas is over.

You posted before the holidays about using wreaths on your doors. I suggested the square shape Boxwood on that thread. Seeing the pics of your wreaths, I still believe that the square Boxwood wreaths look great on your doors. I don't smell cat urine when I smell Boxwood, but Arborvite (sp?), now they smell like cat urine to me.

Leave the wreaths, sans bows or other "holiday" stuff that may have been on them when you hung them for Christmas.

JMHO

• andee_gw
    12 years ago

It's the English boxwood that smell the most strongly. DH is definitely in the "cat pee" camp, but I like the smell (and don't like cat pee -- we have two cats and I don't think boxwood smells like a litter box). There are other examples besides brussel sprouts (cilantro, for example) that people react differently to.

I took the red bow from my wreath yesterday. I don't consider it a Christmas decoration, but rather a winter decoration.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

"I know what you mean about wreaths being passe. Like most things, I think it depends. These wreaths are square and very full and I like the way they look on my barn doors. Whatever they may be, I don't think they are passe."

I'd no idea wreaths were passe. Even if they are, in the words of Richard Feynman: what do you care what people think? OK, technically, in the book title of Richard Feynman, but the idea's the same. :)

BTW I love the smell of boxwood!

• User
    12 years ago

kswl-

OMG, wreaths are *timeless*, how can you even think they're passe?! (You were kidding, right?)

sandyponder

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mtnredux, do you have lights on your gate posts? I think that makes an entrance look very inviting, in day or night. A white gate is just naturally welcoming :)

KSWL - Yes and no. The PO were big fans of outdoor lighting (one of them was a set designer) and we must have 100 outdoor lights set into the patios and or around the grounds. In some places it is very lovely (uplighting of our pergola and trellises, entwined in vines). In other places it is too much. We have two entrances. One gate is well lit because of the lighting of surrounding trees, one is not as well lit. But in either case I think I'd prefer the look of a dedicated light lighting the stone wall and sign. Just trying to find something that is not too fussy or kitschy colonial.

I did not realize you had a barn on your property. Is that where you are keeping the square boxwood wreaths?

KSWL - We have a small barn, and my fave, a cute little stone house. But the barn doors I hung my square wreaths on are my front doors. I wanted an unusual and distinctive front door, but nothing ornate. The barn doors open to a vestibule and then i have another set of french doors to the entry hall.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wreaths have become a little bit overdone. There are wreaths for every occasion. There are a lot of kitschy country wreaths. They are a ubiquitious craft project. And there are people who hang a wreath on the door and forget about it for years.

All of that kind of undermined the classic beauty of the traditional holiday wreath.

• nhb22
    12 years ago

Funny timing on this thread.

On Saturday, DH and I took down the wreaths hanging from the front lanterns, the side and back doors, and removed all the bows and artificial berries I had stuck in urns full of yard greenery. We were so proud to have it all done before the new year. The greenery still looked good, so we decided to leave it until it turned brown...hopefully into spring.

Now, someone mentioned a large house wreath, and I had a horrifying thought. Sure enough, I just went to look, and the large decorated wreath that I have hanging over the front door is still up there! We forgot all about it being there. boo hoo ...have to get the ladder back out.

BTW - My boxwood does not smell. Good thing, as it surrounds our patio and we do a lot of entertaining.

• birdgardner
    12 years ago

Hmm. I love the smell of English boxwood when the sun warms it up - would not plant the scentless Korean varieties. Nothing at all like cat pee to me - and I worked as a house cleaner and emptied untended litterboxes!