SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrinam_gw

New MH homeowner, few questions!

10 years ago

Hi all,

I recently (in October) purchased a 2009 double wide. I can't remember the brand, Champion? Titan? Anyways, there's a few things I'm not crazy about and want to change over the next few years or so. I just kind of want other MH homeowner's advice, opinions or just any general tips you may have for a new homeowner, I would really appreciate it!

1. Those fake wood cabinets in the kitchen and the fake wood crown molding is starting to peel a little. It bugs me! Will the walls support real wood cabinets? I know we've had trouble putting some things up on the walls with the lack of studs compared to a regular house. What can I do? I don't want it to look cheap, but I don't want them falling off the walls either!

2. Possibly putting drywall up eventually to replace the vinyl walls... good idea? Not worth it? The paneling bugs me a little bit, not awful right now but I may eventually want to just renovate the inside to make it look like less of a doublewide. Especially when (our plan in the future) we move it out of the park and on land onto a foundation with some sort of basement. I'd like it to look more like a ranch if possible.

3. Does anyone have any advice on the whole lack of studs thing? In a stick built house it's every 16 inches.. that doesn't seem to be the same in this. I'm afraid to put anything even sort of heavy on the walls, for example I bought a free standing pantry instead of doing any type of built-ins. Maybe it's just one of the negatives of a manufactured home though?

Once again I do appreciate any advice you have. This is my first home, I've only rented before this and having a mh is a lot different I'm realizing than a regular house so I'm a little unsure about things.

-Katrina

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor