SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
still_waters_gw

Pre-blueprint Kitchen Plan

Linda Gomez
13 years ago

I am submitting my first kitchen plans for our future retirement home. We are getting ready to start the blueprints. Actually, we had a rough plan for the kitchen, but when we looked at the layout, it did not work. All is not lost. We are going to the architect soon.

I have been tweaking what I originally wanted after being on this site. Especially helpful was the suggestion to write down where I was going to store my current kitchen cupboard by cupboard. I changed from a double oven after realizing I want a vented broiler. I will try to get a stove with double ovens. My friend has a Maytag with 2 ovens. We will have a kitchenette in the basement & put another oven there to be able to use it for the extra holiday cooking.

The ceilings will be 9 foot.

I want a raised DW. I did check out the DW drawers, but my everyday plates are too large for them. I DO want this open toward the living room/den, yet with still some clutter blocking from the den to kitchen.

I am not sure if I have enough space for a table or if I need to push the bump out from 4 foot to 5 foot. I could make the window a bay also. I am also not sure about the pantry. Do I want a cabinet one or one that is more of a walk-in? I probably could move into the area before we get into the garage.

I have thought about a coffee center to the right of the prep sink and the microwave to the left of it, but I do not want to crowd out the prep sink either. I know I do not want an OTR micro. When we remodeled the kitchen we are in now, my then 6yo son was just starting to heat his own food in the microwave. It was a blessing to have it so low.

{{gwi:1629679}}

{{gwi:1629681}}

{{gwi:1629683}}

This is a hillside mountain house that overlooks a lake. Our main floor will have living room/dining room, kitchen, laundry, & master suite. Decks will overlook the lake. Our second floor will have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a loft. We will have a complete basement with a 4th bedroom, a handicap accessed bathroom, office, workroom, kitchenette, storage and an elevator will join all 3 floors.

We still have 10 years or so before retirement, but have sold two of our rental properties & the time is NOW. We�re calling it 'the vacation that keeps on giving.' Actually, the house will be called Still Waters.

I�ve done my Sweeby test. We want a kitchen that is welcoming & efficient. When it is just dh & myself, we tend to both cook. I also want more prep areas for those family dinners. Since it is a resort area, we expect the kids will come to our place for holidays, long weekends, and we have been told other friends will want to spend their vacation with us! Our dining room will have a big table for big crowds, but we expect to eat more in the breakfast area or on the screened porch.

We are looking for lodge without the antlers, a more traditional feel with wood floors & natural woodwork but with painted/sheetrock walls. I have recently seen some knotty cherry; it has that traditional yet rustic look to it.

I would like to incorporate some natural split fieldstone, but not sure how practical it would be in a kitchen. We will be using it for part of the exterior.

Thank you in advance for looking at my post & getting this far!

Comments (8)