SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rovo_gw

Dining room makeover

rovo
11 years ago

I hope you all don't mind a bit---ok, a lot---of background to help give you an idea of what I'm trying to achieve here. I tend to be wordy, so please forgive the extended history and multitude of photos...

A decade ago, we moved to an early 2000's cookie cutter home in the 'burbs. I guess I had some idea that we would only stay a few years, flip it, and relocate to the historic area more in line with our tastes. But along came the housing crash and 2 small children (one with special needs best met in this particular school district), so it looks like we will be here a while. The home is mostly functional and (I think) attractive---this is by no means a tragedy. Still, we would like to "de-builderize" it a bit to make it feel more our style.

To that end, the kitchen, paint color scheme, flooring, and just about every room is currently getting a facelift. In order to remain in my wonderful, yet unpaid stay-at-home mom job, everything must be done with a frugal, DIY mindset.

With that in mind, I'm hoping for your collective wisdom on our combination "formal" living/dining room. It's the first thing you see upon entering the house (the cross-bar on an "H" shaped layout) and is, like many of these rooms I suspect, not functional. Poor shot, left side dining area:

Right side, living room area:

I like to read in this room and the kids enjoy playing games in here, yet we never use it for actual dining. In fact, we often move the table outdoors to host our extended family of 14. I think the table is too---formal? Unwelcoming? I bought it in college, and thought it was so grown up at the time:)

Now, however, I'm envisioning a table/entire room setup that is more family friendly, rustic?, and homey (for lack of a better term). I know the rustic reclaimed wood trestle table ala Restoration Hardware is trendy, yet I have loved the look for many years and am thinking of getting out of this faux formal thing we have going on. It just does not match our current home or our lifestyle, yet I dislike really trendy cheap furniture and would like to keep the china cabinet and buffet (both solid construction and beautiful in person).

What are your thoughts on replacing the table with something like this, from French country direct in reclaimed teak? Would it potentially work with the existing china cab and buffet?

Or perhaps a DIY trestle from Ana White like this, which I am fairly certain DH and I could pull off:

And parsons chairs as in this inspiration photo:

And, what about the rest of the room? The couches and chairs must remain for the time being (and besides, they are excellent cat scratching posts!), but the drapes, etc. are all under consideration. Planning to paint the room either FB down pipe or lamp room gray.

Many thanks for sticking with me so far. I welcome your honest feedback!

Comments (11)