SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
murphy_zone7

Another Yogurt Making question please

murphy_zone7
13 years ago

Hello...I read all the posts I could find on yogurt making and thought how cool is that, I can do that....well I tried. Made the first batch with a quart of fat free milk to see if it would work...it did, I got yogurt. Used the incubating in the oven with a light method. In my excitement, I did not let it "cook" long enough (about 7 hours)and it was kinda soupy. Drained it as recommended and ended up with a little less than 2 cups. Very good taste however. Second try, added dry milk as recommended to thicken it a bit, let it "cook" much longer (about 12 hours) and again still kinda soupy and the taste was awful (dry milk yech!!) This time after draining to get it thicker, I ended up with about a cup and a half.

I am making it in a bowl and wonder if I put it into individual jars would that help?

My question is what is supposed to be the yield? If you start with a quart of milk, how much yogurt should you end up with after the whey is drained off? If the yield is only half of what you start with, where is the cost savings?

Of course I am probably doing something wrong and any advice there would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,

Murphy

Comments (13)