SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Rule of thumb for chandelier size?

IÂm looking for a new dining room chandelier. IÂve browsed locally now IÂm looking online. Scale is an issue with shopping that way, since thatÂs hard to determine from photos. The dining room is 13 feet by 12. Ceiling height is standard 8 feet.

The old chandelier (provided by the builder) is a standard issue brass thing with 5 candelabra bulbs in glass hurricanes and one central downlight that is a standard bulb. Diameter is 20 inches. Kind of colonial style, which is not MY style at all. One thing I can say for it, it does provide very good light. The downlight is a really nice option that illuminates the table very well. When eating there we use all the lights, and can turn the downlight off if doing other things in the room. The dining room table gets used frequently for sewing and for crafts/framing, so good light is essential. I noticed in browsing that chandeliers with downlights seem to be very rare. I am afraid that without one of those the light really will be inadequate. ItÂs a traditional formally decorated room with an antique walnut dining room set.

In the adjacent foyer we have a large traditional crystal chandelier with fittings of brass. IÂd like something harmonious for this room (not necessarily brass) as you will see both chandeliers in most lines of sight. IÂm thinking a dark metal with some crystals. IÂm not set on the crystal thing as long as it would harmonize and not clash with the one we have. My husband has strong feelings about the foyer chandelier, which he chose, as being similar to one his parents had in their foyer. ItÂs one of the few things IÂve ever seen him get excited about. IÂm happy to accommodate his taste, as he so seldom expresses any preference.

So how can we tell what size and number of lights will be adequate? How would I search for one that does have a downlight (IÂm not even sure thatÂs the correct term), or does that simply not exist in a crystal trimmed chandelier? IÂve seen some I liked with 2 tiers of bulbs, like 5 on the bottom tier and 4 on the top tier, will that look overscale for an 8 foot high room?

Comments (3)