SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Name that food at Mediterranean Island (pics)

annie1992
16 years ago

Saturday Elery and I went to Grand Rapids to check out the stores in advance of the "Michigan Run" we've been discussing on conversations. One of the places we went was a Middle Eastern grocery called Mediterranean Island.

OMG, that was such a cool place! Lots of stuff, great prices, things I didn't even know what it was. I walked in and found the cutest little tiny baby eggplant:

{{gwi:1543483}}

Right next to those were the ever elusive figs. I'm in the middle of canning right now, but I'm going to pick up a crate full next time I go down, and make Jessica's fig and vanilla bean preserves. Check out the price, figs were $3 for 4 at Fresh Market. Not here:

{{gwi:1543484}}

{{gwi:1543485}}

We found a really good buy on olive oil:

{{gwi:1543486}}

and some fruit oil and mustard oil, neither of which I've ever heard of or had and I don't know what they'd be used for:

{{gwi:1543488}}

There was a big section of pre-mixed items, although I don't know what most of the names were:

{{gwi:1543489}}

The bread was interesting. A nice lady in a long black dress and scarf was buying some, so Elery asked if it needed to be baked or if it was ready to eat. I don't think she understood him, but she explained that she was from Ethiopia and there it used in place of utensils to scoop up stew or other foods. Now I know it's injera bread, thanks to Ann T.

{{gwi:1543494}}

The selection was very diverse, and I found whole cardamom right next to the Starbucks coffee, LOL:

{{gwi:1543498}}

I don't even know what Soujuk is, but they had some in the meatcase next to the baby goat:

{{gwi:1543499}}

Lots of lamb and pretty cheaply. Too bad I don't like lamb, they had lamb shanks for $2.99 a pound. I passed it up and checked out the pickles, they were beautiful, full of cucumbers and peppers and all kinds of vegetables:

{{gwi:1543501}}

Olives in some kind of red sauce,with orange slices?

{{gwi:1543503}}

I bought hummus and baba ganouj but passed up the "Gris" which I think was grits, and this eggplant paste. I don't know what eggplant paste is for, but it was interesting:

{{gwi:1543505}}

More things I don't know about in every aisle including some spicy watermelon seeds:

{{gwi:1543506}}

Some ginger paste:

{{gwi:1543508}}

More exotic "stuff":

{{gwi:1543510}}

And a bag of some type of herb I can't identify. Could this be that "medicinal herb" that Jessica keeps telling me about that they grow in California? :-)

{{gwi:1543511}}

They had fava beans in lots of ways, couscous in pretty colors, about a dozen different kinds of lentils and rice. Oh, and this. Anyone want to guess what Jaggery is, or do I have to google it?

{{gwi:1543517}}

Oh yeah, this was a fun, fun place, I think we need to go there on the "Michigan Run". The store owner was kind and helpful, but he couldn't help himself, he just had to ask why I was taking all those pictures. (grin) I explained about you all, but I don't think he understood....

Annie

Comments (18)