Houzz Logo Print
sleeperblues

High end vehicles (Mercedes, Audi, etc)

14 years ago

After reading Glenda's post about the car repair, I'm wondering how many of you drive high end vehicles, and do you think they are worth the extra money?

The last new car we bought was a Honda civic in 2008, for gas mileage reasons. The last new car before that was a Dodge Durango in 2000, and we still drive it with over 200,000 miles on it. I drive a used Chrysler 300 bought from a neighbor who passed away for 9000.00 with only 32,0000 on it.

My BIL has an Audi something or other, and until riding in that car I never had "car envy", but that ride is smooth. Everything is automatic, and you can't hear any road sounds. Makes driving in the Civic seem like riding in a tin can. But I am frugal, and just can't see spending that much money on a car. What's your opinion?

Comments (39)

  • 14 years ago

    My first car cost $50 ( a convertible 1970 Ford Mustang) and I've had several cars since. But I always buy "used" cars. My Dad always told me, never buy a new car, they lose so much value just driving them off the lot, that "depreciation" is such a killer. I've never owned a high-end car, tho I do occasionally get to ride in a nice car if friends are driving. I once rode in a limo, but it was in a funeral procession for my husband's Grandmother.

  • 14 years ago

    I agree with Jannie about never buying a brand new car--although my 2003 4Runner was bought new for a specific reason. All my other cars have been late model used.

    It's always fun to note different people's spending priorities. One person will sink money into clothes, but never dream of buying expensive stereo equipment, while another person will have the speakers of their dreams while buying their clothes at thrift shops.

    You and I are an example, Sleeperblues. We both think of ourselves as frugal, and in our own ways, we are. The "token" $50 donation you mentioned recently sounded like a fortune to me (my idea of a token would be 5 bucks, and I wouldn't give even that if I didn't want to). You've also talked about your love of vintage clothing, which is my idea of an expensive hobby. But you enjoy it, so that's good. You can't see spending a lot of money on a car, but I'm a car person. For a given amount of money I'd rather have an older Mercedes or Audi than a much newer Ford.

    It's all so individual, and that's the way it should be.

    PS: Ford lovers, don't get excited. I just used that manufacturer as an example. I could have said KIA, but then the KIA owners might get excited. :-)

  • Related Discussions

    High-Rise Balcony, pricing, etc.

    Q

    Comments (12)
    I work for an interior landscaping company, but we also do some large outdoor containers for upscale apartments and hotels. Landman and Odie are right on. Charge an appropriate fee - this is a business, not merely a labor of love, right? I bought one of those sink hoses for my personal use and I hated it. It was hard to fasten to the sink and often leaked, spraying water EVERYWHERE. And the hose was such a small diameter that it took forever. For three pots, you will be way better off with a pair of 2 gallon watering cans. I like the Akro Mills model since it has the fill hole on an angle that fits nearly all sinks. But try to find last year's model, the one without the built in rose on the end of the spout, because the rose drips terribly. For smaller hauling jobs, we use a large rubbermaid garbage can (called a "garbo") on a wheelbase with casters. You can fit a reasonable amount of gear in there. We also use it to haul large quantities of water around - you can fill it about 2/3 full and push about 20 gallons that way - it's heavy but manageable unless the carpet is very thick. For large hauling jobs, we have a small box truck and a driver who uses a handcart or a cart that's about the size of a small rectangular banquet table. One definite advantage of the box truck is that he can park in loading zones, fire lanes, double park, etc., and rarely get hassled. The rest of us in normal vehicles can't get away with that as easily. You can buy disposable "booties" to put over your shoes to keep the carpet clean.
    ...See More

    Suggestions for mid-high end kitchen appliances

    Q

    Comments (26)
    It's probably too late but I'll add my two cents. I put Wolf/SubZero in my kitchen in my last house. When my microwave broke a second time when it was just out of warranty, the factory said that was just wrong and they gave me a completely new convection microwave and installed it for a processing fee of $50. They made sure I was 100% satisfied. Fast forward to new house - Kitchen Aid appliances came with the house. Nice fridge, ok dishwasher but double ovens and cooktop are awful. Take too long to warm up and cool down. Really poor quality and they are only 3 years old. I wouldn't give you two cents for their cooking appliances. I think Wolf has the best cooking appliances on the market. Miele dishwashers are also the best. I hope this helps.
    ...See More

    Jason, Audi or BMW. I've had both.

    Q

    Comments (13)
    You are such a clone to my favorite brother in law AND my father. I was raised in VWs. Old school. My dad was an obsessed mechanic who had a love of German made vehicles. He adjusted the valves on our VWs (there were two, a 62 beetle and a 64 bus) constantly. I assert that he may have been the only early VW owner who never sucked a valve. He seriously understood the early motors. My Dad insulated the crap out of our VWs (foam rubber insulation inside, coated with *something* not flammable). He installed more and needed gauges that spoke to him, whatever they said. Protection that gave way with the noise reduction. He demanded both. I spent many a night in that 1964 VW bus that was burgundy and white. Daddy had a traveling gene and a love of road maps that avoided regular routes. We almost pushed the Bus up Pike's Peak and always slept in it, (he made a homemade bed in the back of a removed seat, out of wood and foam padding. Kids slept on the two remaining seats, smallest kid straddled the front gear shift.)We often slept on the side of the road. (Hated it when we ended up near railroad tracks.) In my family, God help you if you had to turn over at night. Daddy liked his sleep and was easily disturbed. No making the car shake by turning positions and he always knew. Little biting bugs in Kansas came right through the vents. Uh ugh. We started to notice the bites almost immediately. Then there was no relief at all. I was raised with German motors. My dad and now my BIL. Been there and done that.
    ...See More

    High-end leather purses

    Q

    Comments (46)
    I dont even carry a purse. When I was in Michigan a few years ago I heard a lady call herself a pocket shopper. I guess thats what I am. My mother very seldom carried a purse. Last time when we were in Michigan my DH brought a purse in DD house and asked whose it was. It was one I out of my deceased DM things. I had takens it along but I never took it out of the trunk while we were there. He thought it was DDs. I remember a long time ago I had bought a purse probably at a thrift store and I walked into my in-laws house and my FIL said just think how much more money you would have if you hadn't bought that. I could never wear one with a shoulder strap. I used to very big busted and I even have a groove on my shoulder from my bra staps. The strap would never stay up on my shoulder though and still doesn't. That might be another reason I don't carry a purse.
    ...See More
  • 14 years ago

    I have owned 3 civics and currently have a 2008 Fit manual transmission. I have always loved driving small stick shift cars. It is more of an activity than a chore to travel from place to place. However, I can tell you that civics do not have the smoothest or most quiet ride. The finishes are cheaper and less expensive. But it depends on what you want to get out of your vehicle.

    DH has a Dodge 1500 pick up- the ride and finishes are much nicer, even though it is a work truck. We use his truck to travel for any extensive travel.

    I would rather put my money into my house. I enjoy the fine details of architecture and cabinetry. Ultimately I will spend more on my kitchen then I did on my car.

    Yes- high end cars have nicer finishes, they ride better and are quieter. They also cost more to own and maintain. I recall my boss complaining about the $1,000 brake jobs for his BMW SUV.

    Some of the extra features on high end vehicles are fun. In the Mercedes coup, there is a mechanical arm that pushes the seat belt out so you can reach it when the car starts. I like the motorized seats with memory settings. My bosses Chrysler 300 has a fancy GPS/MP3/computer on board. It not only tells him where to go, but stores and plays music, has internet and can play video files etc. I have see some high end SUVs that have automatic retractable steps. When you open the doors with the fob, the step comes down, then when you start the truck, the step retracts. Fun! Fun! Fun!

  • 14 years ago

    They are only worth the extra money if you personally want to spend it and enjoy it. My DH was nearly killed when a 75 year old woman running a red light broadsided him on the driver's side totaling his Chevy. He then bought a Mercedes S550 - the nicest car we could conscientiously afford. We could have bought a more expensive car but most people have a mental price limit.

    I looked at it this way. The kids are grown, we have no mortgage, no credit card bills, the house is in top shape and we can afford it. He drives a lot and I told him that he should have a car that is comfortable, safe and enjoyable and this car fit the bill. We finally replaced it last year with another one and couldn't be happier.

    In 40 years of marriage we've had a number of cars - a Plymouth Duster (AKA piece of junk), a Fiat 124 Spider convertible (the roof leaked every time it rained) then we had kids and began a series of wood grain contact paper sided station wagons (the kids called them Battle Wagons). Then we drove a series of Chevy Suburbans and Tahoes, and I had 2 Lexus SUV's and now have a Porsche SUV.

  • 14 years ago

    When I went out the LA for the Rose Bowl, I rented a Ford Fusion and that car was so tech-filled I didn't know how to drive it. It was amazing how much even low-end cars have changed in the past 3 years.

    Alisande, you are right that our perceptions on frugal are different but remember I am not retired yet and DH is still working and other than a mortgage and a kid in college, we don't have any expenses. I imagine my ideas on "frugal" will change once I don't have my work income, lol.

  • 14 years ago

    My son is a Master Mechanic for Audi. He lives and breathes Audi but ... he will not recommend one to anyone without disposable income. Any time someone comes to him asking what kind of car should they get, he tells them Honda.

    I've driven nothing but a BMW since 1998. I'm on my third. Why? Because (and the old timers here might remember this) ... in 2000 I was hit head on by a full-size truck, spun around and hit a second time on the driver side back door and walked away without a scratch. I was driving a 500 series BMW. I've also owned a Mercedes and Audi. Though have to admit, I had a Honda Accord for eight years back in the 80's and loved it. I would not hesitate to buy another Honda.

    I always keep my cars (unless they get totaled) for eight or more years so have never regretted buying brand new right off the lot. In the rare case when I've bought used, I regretted it big time. You often find a great deals when people turn their cars in after a 3-5 year lease. We've found those "deals" generally not worth it unless you like to be known on a first name basis with the dealership's service department. You are buying someone else's trouble. People who lease cars tend to ride them hard, since they know they are basically the dealer's problem in three years, not theirs.

    I live in an area where I call BMWs "Belly Button" cars. Everybody has one. I finally had to get personalized plates just so I could find my own car in the parking lot. :-)

    Jodi-

  • 14 years ago

    There was an article on the Yahoo home page about two weeks ago that listed the top ten least reliable vehicles based upon maintenance & call back problems...

    Two of the top ten were BMW's, one was a Mercedes and out of the U.S. big three only one small GM car made the list

  • 14 years ago

    Hmmm, this is interesting to me because I need to buy a car now. My 1996 Accord with 151,000 miles is sounding pretty clunky although it runs very well. Luxury vehicles are not in the picture for me. I'd love to have a Lexus SUV or an Acura TL (which are only entry level luxury cars).

    The car that makes the most sense to me is another Accord but they are SO boring! Right now I'm thinking about a Honda CR-V.

    I always think I don;t need a fancy car but when I ride in one, it is such a pleasure. Even my mom's Lexus is so smooth and quiet although its ride is kind of boat like.

    My brother used to have an Acura NSX that I drove when I visited him. I loved that car. It was such a pleasure to drive although totally impractical (and unaffordable) for me. Now he has a Ferrari and riding in that is unlike riding in any other car. My son has a Porsche and both of those cars just kind of snake through traffic, the ride is so powerful and smooth.

    Anyway, I have no need for a high end luxury car but I wouldn't mind having a "low end luxury" car. I test drove a BMW and didn't like it. Also, I am too cheap to pay for the maintenance of a luxury car, and with gas prices hitting all time highs, there's no way. I don't know what I'll get next.

  • 14 years ago

    A vehicle has never meant much to me. As long as it is not a junker, I'll drive it. My vehicle is almost 10 years old and only has 80,000 miles on it. It is nice looking due to being kept inside. I can afford a new car but it doesn't make since to me when I have a great car to drive. Hubby would buy a new truck each year before he retired but now is keeping it. He went the other day to see about trading. They wanted his great 2008 truck and $25,000. He told them they could keep their truck and he would keep his. Smart choice!!!!!!

  • 14 years ago

    My DH is the king of buying cars. He just loves wheeling and dealing. We've had a Mercedes (2 in fact) a Cadillac, that had to have repairs monthly, and an Acura that I truly loved, and many in between. We now have a Tahoe, and a 2012 VW CC that is wonderful. Somebody asked me yest. if it was a Mercedes. No, but I can't think of anything to criticize; it's just great. Gets 35 on the hwy. and the heated seats are such a luxury!!! Our Tahoe is a 2002 model and has NEVER had any kind of repair. Probably a record!!

  • 14 years ago

    People buy cars for all kinds of reasons. My daughter bought an SUV because she suddenly found a good deal. It was great to have a "truck" with all that space for furniture. I bought a set of outdoor Adirondack chairs and used her Ford SUV to haul them from the store. Unfortunately, it got poor gas mileage-I think she was getting about 8 miles per gallon. And it broke down twice. The second time, it was a question of $4000 for a transmission repair (Yikes!) or sell it for $400 as junk. We chose the $400 "profit" rather than the $4000 repair. When FIL died, they had an old beat up but good-running Chevy. Neither MIL or their daughter could drive it, so they gave it to us as a gift. We had it for about 5 years. Never had a "new" car, for reasons above. But we've had some interesting "junkers" that got us around fairly reliably. To me, a car is just tramsportation. It needs to start easily, brake reliably and have a good heater for the winter. My BIL once won a car in a raffle, but he had to pay tax on it so he never thought he was "lucky".

  • 14 years ago

    I'd love something like that, if I had all kinds of money and nothing to spend it on. As it is, our 2001 Honda Civic (with just under 200,000 miles) and our 2003 GMC truck (with about 150,000 miles) run just fine and I don't mind them at all. I did by the Civic new, way back when gas prices were just starting to get ridiculous, and I've not regretted it at all.

  • 14 years ago

    I love my 1993 Honda Accord that my Son is driving with some 150,000 miles on it...and it looks like it will keep on running. We have a 2000 Ford Excursion XL with all those bells and whistles, with 35,000 miles on it and a CRV (toad) that we use around town and tow with our motorhome. All bought new, and all in mint condition for their ages (wish I could say the same for me). I'm saving for an Acura...love the smooth ride and less road noise, but will settle for (haha) another Accord most likely. They just haven't built mine yet. BTW the Ford is beautiful, but rides like a tank, but is SO reliable out there on the ice in the winter. Not worth many dollars so we just keep it.

  • 14 years ago

    We have an Acura MDX. When we bought it, it was the first time we didn't buy and American car. I like an SUV and we always bought a Jeep. We've had so much trouble with them and DH said no more Jeep. I liked it because it had the biggest cargo area which is the only thing I was interested in. Finally hit on the Acura which has an even bigger cargo area. I sometimes need to get four or five sets of clubs in the back. We love, love the Acura and everything about it. Mine is now six years old and have never had a problem with it.

  • 14 years ago

    I drive a Mercedes. The build quality, interior quality, and ride are unparalleled. I could never go back to a "normal" car - in fact, I looked at Fords over the weekend and was just totally unimpressed.

    Are they worth the extra money, was the question. I bought mine used, for less than I'd have paid for a new Ford. It's mechanically sound and I've had no problems with it at all; it's 12 years old and I've spent less than $800 in repairs/maintenance over the past 4 years. Oil change is only required every 10,000K miles or once a year, whichever comes first.

  • 14 years ago

    Bought my son, his first year in college, an MG used. Lots of maintenance and we didn't keep it very long.

    Have a Nissan Altima, that I really like, but my druthers is my previous Toyota Camry!

  • 14 years ago

    I imagine my ideas on "frugal" will change once I don't have my work income, lol.

    I'm afraid I have to agree! lol

    Lately I've been scrounging around looking for ways to increase my income. Gas prices are up, and Medicare doubled my insurance premium this year. Ugh.

  • 14 years ago

    I have an 89yr old friend in Granby,Massachusetts that swears that Rolls Royce is the cheapest car in the world.

    I said.."You got to be crazy"

    He replied, "You think so? He said I drive a 1936 Rolls Royce which I bought brand new for $2100 and it came with a lifetime warranty. Twice a year the Rolls Royce dealer in Boston brings a loaner car out on a flatbed wrecker and they take his car back to Boston, where they change the oil, then check the car thoroughly and repair or replace anything thats bad. The only thing they charge him for is tires, wiper blades & lightbulbs. He can't even add oil to the engine because they have a lead seal on the oil filler cap. If the oil pressure drops he is supposed to call them immediately.

    Since he bought that car originally it has been painted three times, the engine completely rebuilt twice and the transmission rebuilt once and the complete horsehide interior has been replaced once. He says the only thing that is not exactly as the original is the clock on the dash. Originally it had an 8day wind up mechanical clock but that clock quit working in the mid 70's and they could not find a replacement so they installed an electric quartz movent, but it still has the original clock face.

    He loves to take it to all the local car shows and he shows ppl the maintenance record book and asks, how many ppl have driven the same car for 76 years and it still looks and runs like new? And the only thing he pays for is gas, tires, wiper blades and lightbulbs.

    I have to agree, even though he paid $2300 at a time when a new Cadilac was under $800, it is still the cheapest car I have ever heard of.

  • 14 years ago

    DH and I did a traveling nurse assignment in Hawaii for 6 months back in the 80's. We bought a beater from a local for 150.00 when we got there, and when we left we sold it to another traveler for 150.00. It was cat-poop brown, all beat up, and manual transmission. Also came with it's own cockroaches, as I discovered one night at the drive-in. That little car got us and our friends all over the island of Oahu without every breaking down. Good memories, except for the roaches.

  • 14 years ago

    I generally think luxury brands are not worth it for me personally. I've had a lot of Hondas and a few Toyotas and have compared with the equivalent luxury model of Acura and Lexus when I go to buy a new car. Just not worth another $10K for the luxury brand vs. the top trim line of the regular brand - not to mention higher cost of maintenance if you go to the dealer which I usually do.

    All that said I have had an Audi - which had many problems within the first year after I bought it brand new. So I unloaded it before the warranty was up and bought a new Honda Accord.

    I've also had a new Lexus RX300 - bought at the time because it was the only brand with a small SUV. It was nice but needed some expensive repairs around 75,000 miles so we traded in for a Toyota.

    DH seems to like luxury brands. He bought a used 15 year old Mercedes 300SL convertible. It was a once in a lifetime great low mileage deal under $20K. It is a fun ride in the summer. He also bought a six year old, low mileage Acura MDX - also a pretty good deal. I don't mind so much if they're used, low mileage and relatively low price. I guess he should enjoy this and get it out of his system now because I doubt I'd go for it once we retire.

  • 14 years ago

    I have had the pleasure of driving some fabulous vehicles, not all of them owned however many I had as my demo. I was lucky in that if I found one I really did not like I could just drive it back and exchange it for some thing else. But I really got a good feel for a large spectrum of vehicles. Of the vehicles I owned one of my all time faves was my Mitsubishi 3000GT,very sporty, fast, and easy to drive. Today I would not be able to get into or out of it LOL.
    Audi makes an incredible vehicle the ones available today are amazing, I drool over them at the dealership but they are pricey. I bought a Hummer H3 a few years ago when they made me a deal I just could not refuse. I absolutely LOVE it, for me at this time in my life it is excellent. I am up high can see well and if some jerk decides to run into me he will probably have a lot more damage then me. Plus it carries quite a bit. Recently a car full of people did not see their merge sign and merged right into the passenger side of my Hummer. We both pulled over, they jumped out with cameras to take pictures thinking oh boy we get money out of this one. When I pointed at the MERGE sign and told him that should be his first picture he quickly put away the camera and changed his tone. Their car had a mark the full length of the car and my Hummer had nothing, they had managed to run into my tire. I had a little scuff on the tire LOL.I like feeling safer these days. It gets surprisingly good gas mileage and the only repair was one that was for a recall.

    I think if a person does a lot of driving for work especially it is very much worth spending the money to have a good safe, comfortable reliable vehicle.

    If you have never heard of the Fisker yet check them out, very beautiful cars, extremely pricey, electric-very green.
    Amazing company too, I love looking at it and riding in it but not something I could ever own. But the Karma is a gorgeous car. If you happen to know anyone that wants one I happen to know someone who sells them LOL!!

    Here is a link that might be useful: Fisker

  • 14 years ago

    have ridden in sil's bmw and thought it was aweful! first i'm a big person and it was difficult to get in out (low to the ground) and bumpy ride...and we have really bad roads in mi...

    i drive a 2003 chevy venture mini-van...which they don't make anymore...and you see them everywhere! i can get a sheet of plywood in the back, hauled grands, stuff, ect...

    it has about 88,000..and i can't find anything to replace it with!

  • 14 years ago

    I used to think luxury cars were a waste. Then my husband bought a Mercedes.

    It is a total pleasure to run errands in that thing. Seriously, an experience. And it will last us up to 300,000 miles if we maintain it. Now that's value.

  • 14 years ago

    Someone at my work drives the Audi R8 Spyder. It's a nice looking car but it costs well over $100k. I can't even imagine driving something that expensive around, even if I had that sort of income.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Audi R8 Spyder

  • 14 years ago

    It's clear that some of the posters understand and appreciate what I call the "sexy" factor. I'm the first to admit that my taste in vehicles goes beyond the practical. Some cars just make my heart beat faster. My summer car is like that. It's old (a 1992 Chevy Caprice), and I know a few people who tease me about its appearance. But I thought it was beautiful and a joy to drive when I bought it, and I still feel that way. My son agrees.

    So it's not always about money. In fact, although one of my dream cars (since I was 14, actually) is an S Class Mercedes, another is a 1996 Chevy Impala SS. They're rare, most owned by collectors. But they're not outrageously expensive. I could probably get one for under $20,000--and if I could afford it, I would. Sometimes for amusement I watch a YouTube video of this sleek car beating a Corvette in a drag race.

    Yes, some of us never grow up. LOL

  • 14 years ago

    My very first car was a 57 Chevy, blue and white

  • 14 years ago

    I don't care for anything that is extravagant, including cars. I'm too frugal! I always drive a Honda Civic, love the mileage, it suits me well and the trunk is great for groceries.

    As for wanting a high-end vehicle, never have, don't care for them, they don't even turn my head.

  • 14 years ago

    If you can afford a expensive car, go for it. We can't so the vehicle's we have are very old. My car is 25 years old & still running good. My husband's truck is 24 years old & better then a new one. My daughter had a 2002 Kea that is now ours so I will say we have a "new car". Vehicle's don't mean that much to me, if I had the money I would pay off the mortgage.

  • 14 years ago

    I love my Land Rover for driving in our snowy climate and off roading. They salt our roads and it's aluminum, won't rust! I like anything high end! :0) I want to enjoy life and experience the finest....but live within my means....:0) I purchased a new BMW years ago. I was a fine ride! DH hit a deer head on and we drove away from it. Being safe is a consideration.

    lol I agree about spending more upgrading my house than my car...my kitchen update/remodel cost more than my suv did too!

  • 14 years ago

    I've enjoyed pretty cars since my uncle left us his Packard convertible when he moved to England on a job after WWII.

    My first car was (Hello, Glenda!) a new 1957 Ford convertible. I traded it and a little cash --little being all I had -- for a 1960 Austin Healey 3000 roadster. Later, my DH persuaded me to sell this as we were in an apartment with no garage, but he made up for THAT mistake (!) years later by buying me a 1962, also Healey blue.

    We've owned Pontiacs, a VW Golf, an orange Datsun wagon and a 300Z. Since 1983 we've had Jaguars -- only one new one, the rest being 'demos' with a couple hundred miles on them, some of which we kept as long as 10 years. They've all been sedans except one XJS; that went -- along with the replacement Healey -- when getting in and out became a hardship. Now that DH is retired, we share one little Jaguar, a 2005 X-Type VDP with all the extras, all-wheel drive, beautiful leather interior and sound system. It has 21K miles on it and zero repairs. I wish Jaguar still made these.

    Years ago I realized that the things you see, touch, and use *every day* should please you, especially something you're going to own for a while. Buy somthing you really LIKE.

  • 14 years ago

    I plan to be buried in this...no I'm not planning on getting myself killed in it...I plan to drive it till I get my license taken away...My MIL is 91 and still drives so I plan to do the same thing!!

    My hubster bought a 1998 S500 Mercedes in 2003 on ebay...flew to New York City and drove it home...it belonged to a New York Senator who gets a new one every 5 years so it was in excellent shape and very little mileage..It became his hobby to learn everything he could about it and do the work himself...so many people love owning them but can't afford the upkeep of the little nit picky things that need to be done so it became a hobby and he does most all the work himself...unless it means putting it on the lift and then it goes to the shop...He'll be driving his for a long time and he bought this for me cause he knows I'll take care of it and drive it forever...no one drives it but him or me...my last car was totaled by my kid...I loved that Lexus and would have driven it forever had I not been a fool and let my 18 year old take it on a date...before the lexus I drove a Volvo station wagon for 14 years...before that a Porsche..and before that an Audi...which one do I like best??...why this little blue convertible...it's such a blast to drive and I feel like a teenager again!!

  • 14 years ago

    I'm in the group that see a car as a way to get there and back. For the last 20 years I have driven a Toyota Corolla, the first one was a demo so had 2,000 miles on it when we got it. Sold it 2 1/2 years ago to my nephew for $1000-he is still driving it. At that time I bought a 1996 Toyota Corolla from my BIL for $500--I'm still driving it to work everyday, have had no repairs or issues and 2 weeks ago it clicked over 200,000 miles. It still looks good, runs good and gets great gas mileage. Our other car is a 2010 Toyota Corolla S--love it.
    We were driving Toyotas before they had gotten such a great rep. I have had people say snotty things to me about driving a foreign car--for real. The small town I live in was home to a factory called Trim Masters, they made interiors for Toyota and Lexus and employed over 500 people in a little town in Kentucky--not so foreign.

  • 14 years ago

    I've been on both ends of the spectrum, BMW, Aurora, SAAB, now I have a Ford Explorer and a Mini. It's a way of getting where I need to be, name on a car is no longer in the 'must have' column.

  • 14 years ago

    I have a 13 year old BMW 318 as well as a newer Hyundai Tucson. Even though it has 180,000 miles the BMW is still a joy to drive and I will probably keep it indefinitely. There is no denying that repairs are more expensive but it is a great car. My late husband used to say you are not a Toyota kind of gal and look good driving the BMW.

  • 14 years ago

    I drive a 1998 Mercedes that I bought used several years ago from a friend's estate. The car had been lightly used, and I got a good deal on it. Previously, I had a Mazda.

    My Mercedes has a very smooth ride, and the interior finishing is great. I drive alot of highway miles (20K last year) and this car is comfortable and still going strong at 170,000 miles. My mechanic says that you can expect 250-300,000 miles from a well-maintained Mercedes, and I plan to drive my car until it falls apart.

  • 14 years ago

    The most expensive car I've ever owned is the one I have now, a Nissan Altima. Not high end at all but I can tell there is a big difference in the way it drives compared to my old Mitsubishi Galant. I hate the payments but love the heated seats, the push button ignition...it's so quiet sometimes I forget to turn it off and have left it on before. Scary, since I park in my little garage attached to the house!

  • 14 years ago

    Liz, your car is gorgeous! I now have car envy!! :)

  • 14 years ago

    My car's job is to get me from here to there, and back, without a lot of hassle: as long as it does that, it stays. Plus ... without it costing an arm and a leg to do it: I have other important places to use my money.

    For those of you who like the small ones and have a yearning for a bit sporty and with some get-up-and-go ...

    ... have you considered Mazda?

    They have had some performance qualifications, and, lacking the rep of the Hondas, Toyotas, etc., can often be obtained ("used", that is) for a much lower price for the same level of car.

    Mine is over a quarter my age ... and I'm no spring chicken: it's 24, has cost me some money, lately, and may be about to cost me some more, so I'm wondering how much longer that it may go, with something over 180,000 mi. on its odometer.

    I'd like to get a standard tranny, as, being scarce and undesirable, they're cheaper - and use something like 6 - 10% less gas than automatics (which is a concern, not only for scarcity of the resource and pocketbook, but environmental reasons). Plus, unless someone is ready to crawl up my tailpipe, I not only shut off the engine and coast to signal lights that just turned yellow ... but am inclined to do it when travelling downhill, as well.

    As some of you know ... over seven years ago when I was travelling in my little Dodge "Colt" out from my townhouse in town to sleep in uncle's house prior to its sale after his death, to make the place look lived-in, often it was late at night and the road untravelled ... and I found that I could coast for over 16 of the 20 km. going out there (but the return journey was usually during the day, with more traffic, and coasting was much reduced).

    After the Mazda got hit enough to crookedify a wheel a few years ago, not too long after I got it ... I spent more to repair it than I'd paid ... but it takes a lot of resources to dig ore, smelt and manufacture a new vehicle, along with the petroleum-sourced plastic that they put into them ...

    ... and repairing requires few scarce resources and fuel/energy, is mostly work-related.

    ole joyful

  • 14 years ago

    Hubby just "traded" in his 1996 Honda Accord on a 2012 Civic. The Accord had around 230,000 miles, but the oil pressure light kept coming on, the transmission leaked and the tires would soon need replaced.
    The Accord's ac went about the same time as the warranty. Funny thing - he only paid about $1500 more for the new Civic than the new 1996 Accord. The Accord was a tad fancier and rode a little better, but the Civic has 4 doors whoohoo! He was looking at used first, but the interest rate of .9% (as opposed to 7. something) and a $1500 off sale price hooked him.

    If I had unlimited gas funds, I would drive a big SUV. I loved my midsize Explorer, but the gas mileage made me sell it. My HHR is OK, but it's no Explorer with AWD.

    Liz, I could drive that too...except for hauling hay in the back.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting