SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Mecosta County Fair 2012

annie1992
11 years ago

yes, it's fair time, so being the good farm family we are, we went off to the local agricultural fair.

First we stopped to watch the chicken judging. There were some fine specimens on display but this cage really caught my eye. (grin) OK, I'm strange, but it was funny, I swear!

Madison really enjoyed the goats. I thought this one looked like Jarjar Binks, of Star Wars fame.

Makayla made her first fair entries, an All American rhubarb/strawberry pie, which took a third place:

And this Frisian loaf, which took a blue ribbon. It was in a display case, so I couldln't get a picture of the ribbon. She made it herself, though, the only help I gave her was in "weighing". It was supposed to be a two pound loaf and we don't have a scale, so I had to help. We were a touch over, 1.1 ounces over to be exact, but not enough to keep her from that blue ribbon!

Bud took his own blue ribbon with garlic from my backyard. He entered the youth group, so he was allowed "help" in growing it, but he dug it, cleaned it, trimmed the roots, etc. He was proud, the "Music" was twice the size of the second place garlic in his division.

I even entered some canned goods, although the competition isn't as heavy as it was 20 years ago. Still, I did OK:

That's a blue ribbon for salsa, another blue for Carol/Readinglady's Pear Preserves. A blue for Nancy/Wizardnm's apple maple jam and a blue for LindaLou's 10 day sweet pickles. A blue for the canned heirloom tomatoes, a second place for organic grape jam and a third place for sauerkraut. Oh, and that big purple grand champion ribbon was for the Habanero Gold, so my thanks to Canada/Bernardin, which is where the recipe came from!

The only problem is that the fair is getting cheap and not giving ribbons for cooking/canning/household/etc. Bud got a ribbon for the garlic, as an agricultural product. Everyone gets stickers now except the Grand Champion ribbons. I think that the youth division should still get ribbons, it's exciting for them. The adults? Eh, who cares, suck it up and take the sticker,but I think the kids should get a ribbon, they work hard for those and it's important to them. So, I wrote a rather heated letter to the fair board who spends thousands of dollars advertising the demolition derby and told them that if they couldn't afford $50 or so for blue ribbons for the kids, I'd volunteer to pay for the blasted things myself. Sheesh.

Annie

Comments (13)