SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sillyuser

Halogen vs. Xenon, E. vs. M. transformers, dimmability, and more

sillyuser
15 years ago

We have a long narrow kitchen design that includes a diner style eating area in one of the narrow ends. There is a cove running along the long side so recessed down-lighting on this side is not possible.

The architect speced three 50W recessed MR16 on the opposite side and three undercabinet 20W xenon puck lights under the cove on the cove side (HR-86 by WAC Lighting to be precise).

I have some concerns with this setup and am wondering if someone can help me out with advice:

1. How does the xenon color temp compare to the MR16 halogens? Wouldn't it be weird having those next to each other if they don't match in color temp?

2. The MR16's have individual magnetic transformers in the each housing. If I install a remote magnetic transformer for the xenon's and connect all 6 lights (3 MR16 and 3 xenon's) to a 600W dimmer, would I have any problems? I see that WAC recommends an electronic transformer for the xenon puck lights but I read that they could work off of a magnetic one too, and that they are dimmable.

Can anyone confirm that XENON's can be dimmed off of a magnetic transformer with a full 0-100% ramp?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment (1)