SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan_98004

Do Alzak cans and BR30 LED screw-in bulbs work together?

Dan_98004
10 years ago

Long-time lurker here... I've gotten great value from this site as we are building our house, but now I have a question that seems new (at least I hope)...

We chose 5" Alzak trim cans throughout our new construction house. It's time to get light bulbs and we think we want LEDs, which we have in our current kitchen.

The cans are for regular incandescent fixtures, not the ones that are specially made for LED, hence the need for screw-in style LEDs.

We don't have any of the trim kits installed yet, so it's hard to see how it works in real life.

My general question is "Do screw-in LEDs and Alzak cans work well together?"

Some specific points:

- Will the bulbs fit ok - be sufficiently recessed to leverage the reflective can and look good, e.g. have a nice reveal of the ridged trim kit?

- Will the LED lights (FEIT BR30s from Costco for $10 after rebate) dim OK, e.g. to 25% or lower without buzzing?

- Should we reconsider LEDs? The pros for me are longevity, especially for the ceiling of the two-story family room. We also like the lack of heat vs. halogens. But if they look really bad in the Alzaks, then we'll go with something different... or perhaps not use the Alzak trims (sunk cost!) and go with those LED kits that include the baffles.

I'm going to email the GC tonight and try to talk to the electrical sub tomorrow, but I'm not terribly confident I'll get useful answers (especially compared to the collective knowledge on this site).

Thanks so much for any guidance.

Comments (4)