SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Gardens and Chase's dills

annie1992
13 years ago

The garden is better this year than it's been in years, the heat and the rain is making Michyigan seem like a tropical rainforest. Even though I didn't plant corn until the beginning of June, it's as tall as I am, and the zucchini and butternut squash are already past my waist.

those zucchini plants right beside me provided me with these, and that's only half a picking, I left half with my sister and stepmom, and gave some to Amanda and my mother for eating fresh.

Some of those zucchini became zesty zucchini relish, with horseradish and hot peppers, Elery liked it and I didn't think it was too hot so you know it was mild:

My cucumbers are just starting, but I got 37 nice cucumbers to make Chase's dills. Half will be "original" and the ohter half will each get a jalapeno in the jar for "hot dills", another favorite of Elery's although Ashley likes the originals.

For the first time ever, I've succeeded in growing leeks! They are about the size of my thumb right now, last year's never got bigger than a pencil, they were "gourmet baby leeks". (grin)

I have a great crop of sweet onions, an equally good crop of storage onions, the leeks and there clear over on the right side are sweet potatoes. If they are doing as well underground as they are on top, I'll definitely have enough of those...

Copenhagen and King don't care much about the garden, unless it includes corn, so they just hang around while I work:

Another new crop for me, fingerling potatoes, and they are doing great. I planted red, white and blue ones, but they all look alike on top, somehow. Go figure. Those are pumpkins on the left, there was a pumpkin shortage this year but you couldn't tell it by my garden last year and it looks like this year will be equally good, maybe better.

I have a jungle of tomatoes, mostly Rutgers, but a few Big Rainbow, Lemon Boy, two SunGold.

The cabbage is way ahead of schedule:

So are Elery's pink half runner beans. They'll get a bit bigger, then start turning pink:

It looks like a great garden year so far. I'll be canning salsa for Amanda's wedding, but I'll be asking for recipes using leeks and fingerling potatoes, I'm sure.

I suppose I could dehydrate leeks....

Annie

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath