SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Questions for Frigidaire front loader owners (Affinity, 2140)

lkplatow
15 years ago

I'm *this close* to ordering the affinity 8000 washer. I probably would have done it today but the appliance saleswoman I have been working with has the day off, which gives me one more day to deliberate. I'm down to the Affinity 8000 from a local appliance store or the low-end Frigemore LTF2140 at Lowes. The cost difference isn't much after rebates. All of them are the same size inside and outside and differ only in appearance, some cycles and other features (the affinity has a heater) - I just want whichever one will clean better.

1) Does anyone know how many rinses the Affinity does in a normal cycle? The manuals that I printed say the 2140 does 3, the 2940 (which I am not considering because it ends up costing more than the affinity) does 2, but the Affinity manual doesn't say anything. Honestly,I think I'd prefer the extra rinse simply because it must boost the cleanliness of the clothes.

2) Does anyone know how many gallons the affinity uses per load (I was able to find what the 2140 uses online but cannot find this info for the affinity). I assume, since it has a better water factor than the 2140 on the energy star site, that it uses less water. Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing.

3) Does anyone know if using the soak cycle on the 2940/2140 fills the washer up with more water than a normal wash does? The affinity does not have a soak, but I was thinking that I could pause the affinity for a half hour in the middle of a wash and accomplish sort of the same thing-- unless the soak cycle uses a lot more water.

4) The 2940/2140 supposedly have a feature called the Auto Pump cleanout, which helps keep the lint trap from clogging up. I read some reports online about the affinity clogging up from fuzzy blankets and such. Does anyone know if the affinity also has this feature? I have lots of fuzzy blankets that get washed a lot, plus my laundry usually has a good coating of dog/cat hair.

5) Does anyone know for sure if the Affinity has fixed the tub bearings/rotting spider problem that the Frigemores had? I hear that the Affinity bearings can be replaced separately (thus you don't have to replace the whole tub at a cost of hundreds of dollars) but can't find anything about the spider assembly on the affinity. Any special concerns with a water softener/well water with either of these washers?

6) Several reports online indicate that whites don't come as clean in the affinity. Consumer reports also rates the affinity as worse in cleaning than the 2140/2940 series. I suppose that, if true, it has to do with the lower water use, but I also assume that perhaps these folks are doing cold washes and/or not using the deep clean cycle. If you have an affinity, has this been your experience? How would you rate the cleaning ability of your 2140/2940/affinity machine?

Thanks for any info you can offer and thanks so much for bearing with me through this process. I've been kind of neurotic because I researched the heck out of my last washer and bought it because it was supposed to use less water/energy and it ended up not cleaning my clothes unless I used heavy duty, hot, and extra rinse, completely negating any energy savings. I hated that washer since I got it and I don't want to make another expensive mistake. I promise that this will be my last post on my washing machine dilemma, except to report back what I bought and how I like it. Thanks again!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio