Oatmeal cake recipe for Cloud Swift

lpinkmountain

Or anyone else who would like to try it. Can be made into cupcakes. Very moist. Good with cake gravy. Could add some apples or pears if you like.

Oatmeal Yogurt Cake from "Enchanted Broccoli Forest" by Mollie Katzen

1 packed cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup melted butter

2 eggs

2/3 cup firm yogurt (I'll bet you could sub sour cream or buttermilk)

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup unbleached white flour

1 cup whole wheat flour (Use wwht pastry flour, you won't be sorry!)

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. allspice

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 tsp. ground ginger

1 1/2 cups raw rolled oats

1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice

Optional: 1/2 cup dark raisins

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and melted butter. Beat well. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well. Beat in the yogurt and vanilla until well blended.

Sift together the flour, soda, powder, salt and spices. Combine oats with oj to soften. Add the flours to the liquids alternately with the oat mixture. Add the raisins at the very end.

Turn into a well buttered 9x13 inch pan. Spread batter into place, and bake 25 min. at 350 degrees, or until a probing knife comes out clean.

Lpink's note: I top this with a streusel-nut topping. No recipe, I just improvise butter, chopped walnuts or almonds, flour, brown sugar, oats, dash of cinnamon, until I'm satisfied. You could also do this with a jam swirl topping too.

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jasdip

Pinkie, this looks good. Stupid question.....is raw oatmeal, good ol' regular oatmeal?

Save    
lpinkmountain

Yes, just regular old fashioned oats. Don't think you can use the instant kind, but maybe. I don't like them so never have them in the house.

This is sort of the hippie version of Marion Burros summer torte, a simple plain cake you can doll up to suit your taste. I had a version of this once in a restaurant with an apple cider cake sauce, it was great!

Save    
evenshade

Now, I have to know about "cake gravy". Sounds interesting! :)

Save    
aliceinmd

I'd also like to know more about "cake gravy," and what constitutes "firm yogurt." Would "Greek yogurt" work or would it be too firm?

Save    
Cloud Swift

Alice, I expect that Greek yogurt would work or letting some of the liquid drain out of regular yogurt.I've generally not had any issues with batter made with yogurt or buttermilk being too runny. I think the reaction between the acid and baking soda tends to stiffen the batter up anyway.

Evenshade, I've put a link to a post with Lindac's cake gravy recipe below.

Pink, thanks for posting. I'm on business trips and a bit of vacation for the next three weeks but I'm looking forward to making these when I get back. By jam swirl topping, do you mean just swirling a bit of jam into the top of the muffin batter or is there some way to make it into a topping?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cooking/msg1211502431106.html

Save    
lpinkmountain

As to what constitutes "firm yogurt" I can only conjecture. "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest" cookbook came out in 1982, pre-dating today's Greek yogurt craze. When I bake with yogurt I use regular old Dannon plain yogurt. I think the author used the word "firm" to describe the yogurt to contrast it with the "French" pudding style yogurt which was the yogurt craze at that time. But honestly I don't know how much difference it makes. I'm one of those folks who subs yogurt, buttermilk and light sour cream interchangabley and never notices the difference. It's cake, it's all good to me! I might tend to use vanilla yogurt in this cake. It's been a while since I made it, so I don't remember if I used yogurt or buttermilk.

As for cake gravy, it's basically any sweet sauce you like. Here's one I found online that would be good with this cake:

2 cups apple cider
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 TBLSP cornstarch
1 TBLSP butter
1 tsp. vanilla
(I'd probably throw in some cinnamon and some apple slices)

Whisk cider, sugar, and cornstarch (and apples and cinnamon) together in a medium saucepan until well blended. Put over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute or until thickened. Add butter and vanilla at the end and combine until butter melts. Cool to warm before serving over cake.

I wouldn't do streusel AND sauce, but who knows, it might be good.

Yes, jam topping is swirled on top of batter. You can top THAT with streusel if you like to guild the lily.

Save    

Related Stories

Life 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story