SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littleriverbb

Reducing sound transmission through recessed lights

littleriverbb
15 years ago

Hi -

We have six 6" recessed can lights (Halo H7ICT) in our kitchen. When my husband talks on the phone in our kitchen, I can hear him in the room directly above - not the exact words, but it is clear that he is talking. I suspect that some of the sound is transmitted through the recessed lights since the sound transmission seems worse from the kitchen than any other room.

When I was in HD today looking at recessed light trims, I saw somewhere that the "air-tite" ones claimed to reduce sound transmission. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you think it would make much of a difference (and be worth the cost of switching the trims)?

Are there any other easy ways to reduce the sound that is transmitted through the lights? I know I won't be able to eliminate it entirely without serious soundproofing measures (isolating walls/studs etc.), but anything that I can do to reduce it would be appreciated. I think I saw something on Holmes on Homes where they wrapped some sort of a material around the can, but I don't know if I could do this now that the lights have been installed... and I don't even know what kind of a product to look for either.

Any thoughts on this problem would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comment (1)