SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

Medallion cabinetry quality questions

16 years ago

Hello, I lurk here and actively post on other forums.I am sorry that this is long and I appreciate any advice.We have started on a small remodel of adding a vented range hood and a tile back splash.

I have run into a problem with our cabinetry and wonder if anyone of you have had it happen.

We built in 2004 and our kitchen has Medallion cabinetry in Maple with a Brandywine stain.We paid extra for the maple.

I told the KD I wanted a vented range hood. The KD said since I had an electric smooth top and my kitchen was small, I needed an OTR micro unvented.( My kitchen is 15 x 22 which I consider more medium sized.)

I had so many problems with my build and the KD, I picked my battles and chose to deal with other problems.

Fast forward to today and my husband and I decided to take down the OTR Microwave. We will be installing a vented range hood.

When we removed the OTR microwave, The wood on the sides of the cabinet are not a stained Maple but are a stained oak. The grain is very pronounced and looks strange with the maple fronts beside them.

I can not add a maple veneer as the steam from cooking will buckle it.

I would have easily expected an unstained wood such as inside the cabinets( since the OTR micro was covering it up, but I paid for maple and am surprised Medallion went to the trouble to use stained oak when it would have been just as easy to have used stained Maple. After all I paid more for maple.

I am hoping that a great back splash will detract the eye from the different grains but I am disappointed. I checked all the other cabinets and both sides are stained Maple.

Thanks in advance

Comments (16)