SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purcjn02

Remove recessed lighting?

purcjn02
15 years ago

My husband and I just bought our first house, a 1960s ranch, and it has 6 recessed lights in the living room, split into two straight lines of three each. The fixtures are old and yellowed, and as we are getting the ceilings refinished (removing popcorn) I initially wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to also remove the recessed lighting. The cans are old, and the wiring looks like it will have to replaced if we keep the lights. Additionally, aesthetically I've never been a big fan of recessed lighting, though I must admit I've never lived with it in my previous homes or apartments.

However, I've started to think we might want to keep and update the lights, as I've read that recessed lighting can add value to a home. Also, the room doesnÂt get the best natural light. Perhaps simply modernizing the fixtures will improve their look. However, if we keep them, weÂll have to fix the mess of wiring thatÂs up in the attic.

I'm at this crux where I need to decide whether to keep them or not, as weÂre getting the ceilings done next week before we move into the home. Does anyone have any advice for me, based on their experience with recessed lighting? Love Âem or hate Âem? If you love recessed lighting, is it really necessary to have 6 lights in a room that is about 200-250 square feet?

Comments (6)