SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Best Lightbulbs for bright room from recessed lighting

jockewing
13 years ago

I am looking into getting recessed put in several rooms in my house, and after much research, I have finally narrowed a few things down. I know I need remodel cans with IC ratings, and I like the way the specular reflectors work. I have also found out that the really crisp white light that I have seen in some houses is produced by halogen bulbs. My concern is the spread of light produced by halogens.

As a test, I bought one of those clip-on plug in lights and attached it to the ceiling to simulate how the recessed lights will perform. Trying some incandescent 65 watt BR type lights, I get the same dingy light that I currently get from my ceiling fan light kit, but it spreads nicely throughout the room. Then I put in a 75watt Par 30 halogen, and got really strong, crisp bright white light. But--the light was concentrated in a small area and didn't spread up onto the walls at all. I don't see how that would work to light the room. This was a regular flood bulb.

After MORE research (you almost need a degree for this recessed stuff), I found out that there are Wide Flood halogen bulbs than have a beam spread that is usually double (50 degree) than the regular halogen floods you can get at the big boxes. I am going to an electric supply house today to pick up a few to try.

Will the wide flood halogens really make a difference? How is it possible to effectively light a house with halogens if the light doesn't go up onto the walls?

One lighting store was telling me about the full reflector cone trims in which you use regular A19 style bulbs, and the reflector really spreads the light out very effectively. In his display the walls were lit very well with these types of lights. But- these lights don't have the crisp brightness of the halogens.

What am I to do? Are halogens a feasible option? Due to the layout of my room and the presence of a ceiling fan, I can only fit 6 cans in my 15x18 living room, when I think 8 would be more appropriate.

Also, how far from the edge of fan blades do you need to be to avoid the "strobe-light" effect? In my current plan, all of my cans are at least 20 inches away from the end of the fan blades. Is that enough?

Comments (3)