SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohmyggg

What type of Par30 bulbs for kitchen recessed?

ohmyggg
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

My family is in the middle of a kitchen remodel and I've come across this website on multiple occasions when googling for answers to specific questions. Needless to say, I have found some of the discussions here extremely helpful.

In our new kitchen, we've got 6 recessed lights which will serve as general or "main" lighting and undercabinet Xenons will handle task lighting. All of our cans are 5" Halo H5ICAT housings with 5010W trim. I've come to the conclusion that PAR30 bulbs will work better than "R" type bulbs, and per the box literature, I know we need 50 watt bulbs. Problem is, there seems to be quite a few options for 50W PAR30 bulbs on the internet. I've come across different beam spreads, short stems, long stems, clear finishes, and frosted finishes. Since the recessed fixtures are for general lighting, I'm pretty sure I want the widest beam spread I can get (which is 40 degrees), but not sure if I need a short or long stem, and don't know whether I should go with a clear or frosted finish. I think the frosted finish diffuses the light better, but I don't see many frosted finishes available, so maybe it's not a very popular choice? I am assuming that a clear finish will have a more concentrated section of light coming from the center of the lamp - almost blinding if looked at directly? I definitely don't want too much of a spot light effect (which creates shadows and doesn't provide even light), so that's why I'm thinking a high beam spread will be better. Will the 40 degree beam spread be enough to compensate for a clear finished spot effect or should we go with a frosted finish? Will a short or long stem work best for the desired application?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!