SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marc12345_gw

Kitchen Recessed Lighting Placement

Marc12345
12 years ago

I've been reading this form for a while and quite often can find an answer to my question first, and I've done a lot of reading before trying to post anything... but I think it's time I ask for some specific help. My main question relates to placing recessed lighting and potential issues regarding where my ceiling joists are but I'll go into my kitchen layout first.

Attached is my kitchen - A galley kitchen with doorways on both end, 8ft ceilings. Previously the kitchen was lit with a single three-bulb fixture in the center of the room and a crummy florescent light above the sink - all of which have now been removed and will be replaced with recessed (Marked by 'R' are potential spots). Right now the center hole remains but I can patch it if there's no use for the lights there. A few key notes regarding the drawing: In the northeast corner is a 15" wall cabinet at 24" deep, and there's a 21" wall cabinet between that and the sink window. Above the refrigerator is a 24" deep cabinet. All other wall cabinets are 12" deep.

I have already replaced the sink light with two 4" pots on a dimmer. They're probably a bit close to the wall but I had a stud in the way and had to choose between going closer than I wanted to or going further away - I chose to go closer. I'm not sure which decision would've been best but it's done and not up for discussion any ways :)

Additionally I will be placing under cabinet xenon lights on a dimmer under all wall cabinets.

I was planning on going with 5" pots but got the 6" lights for dirt cheap as part of a packaged promotion - a fraction of what 5" cans would've cost - so I plan on using 6" cans (65W BR30 incandescence probably) for the main overhead lights instead. These will too be on a dimmer. A lot of sites/people seem to recommend placing the lights 24" centered from the wall and centering them with the upper cabinets - to make sure the uppers get good lighting and that you're not in your shadows when working on the countertops (if there's under-cabinet lighting does this matter?).

My issue with trying to do this is that there's a joist running parallel at 26.75" from the sink-side wall. This means my 6" can will either be centered at 21.75" or 32" away from the wall, and I'm not sure which would be more preferred. On the stove-side wall the joist are at 13.25" and 29.25" so I don't have the same joist issue.

Additionally, considering we have 24" deep cabinets in two locations (pantry and fridge), I'm not sure how to make sure these cabinets get enough light with the displayed placement or how to do it symmetrically (if symmetry matters).

So here are the questions: Considering my options regarding the locations of my ceiling joists, where do you recommend I place my sink-side cans? OR Is there a configuration that would be better that I'm not considering? I know there's not a 'right' answer, but I'm hoping that people have found themselves in a similar situation dealing with ceiling joists and can share what worked for them, or have a similar experience that says I should consider something completely different.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths